• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Incubator

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 6:29 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I made an incubator for my ants. Extremely effective, and easy to make. It has a lock, a stand and a sliding vent. It also has white backing to make any movement easy to see.

A U-hual box works well.

Edited by Rstheant, March 4 2019 - 6:32 PM.

• Ant Broski likes this

#2 Offline Apex - Posted March 4 2019 - 7:38 PM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Becareful with using cardboard....especially in direct heat..You have a temp controller right?

• Ant Broski likes this

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 4 2019 - 8:26 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

How large is the box? and the wattage for the lamp? 

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 4 2019 - 8:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Cardboard is just going to keep drafts from causing sudden temperature changes.  A big ice chest would be a much better insulator. 

Better yet, dedicate a small room or closet in your house as an ant room, and heat it with a standard space heater.

This is the temperature controller I use to control an inexpensive, analog space heater for my ant room.  Very easy to set up and fine tune your desired working temperature range.  I highly recommend it.

• Ant Broski and Trythis22 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:12 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
At Apex, I have a controller, and my bulb wattage is 60 watt. The box is an XL moving box. @ drtrmiller, I was looking for a simple, easy option to make an incubator. This was what I had, so I used that.

Edited by Rstheant, March 4 2019 - 9:12 PM.

#6 Offline Trythis22 - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:21 PM

Trythis22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

drtrmiller, unfortunately I believe our budget for this one is approximately $0, some cardboard, printer paper and duct tape. As you say, cardboard is a poor insulator at an r-value of only 4. That's not to say he is incapable of buying anything, he's just more willing to monkey together something from materials lying around his house. But I like your link, I think I will buy one. 

That low wattage heat lamp is never going to reach 450 degrees F in a cardboard box, so I don't think fire safety is a concern unless he has cotton balls or cloth directly placed upside down on the bulb. I would advise not putting anything directly on or above the heat source. 

With that setup, you will only see improvements of about 4-7 degrees where you will place your ants. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your best bet (using common household materials) to improving the trapping of heat is to line your box with aluminium foil. Place some foil on your vents and keep the thing closed. Line both the inside and outside of the box, the goal is to have as much air between the heated space and unheated space. At that point you should have a healthy 80-83 degrees F air temperature inside the box. Tetramorium ants will actively seek out spots between 89 and 92 degrees F; adjust to the data you have collected for your species.

Hope this helps.

• Ant Broski and TennesseeAnts like this

#7 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:25 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
It works well. I spent $45 on a thermostat, and I don’t want to buy much stuff. Also, it works well for me. I just wanted to share.

Edited by Rstheant, March 4 2019 - 9:35 PM.

#8 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:34 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

drtrmiller, unfortunately I believe our budget for this one is approximately $0, some cardboard, printer paper and duct tape. As you say, cardboard is a poor insulator at an r-value of only 4. That's not to say he is incapable of buying anything, he's just more willing to monkey together something from materials lying around his house. But I like your link, I think I will buy one. 

That low wattage heat lamp is never going to reach 450 degrees F in a cardboard box, so I don't think fire safety is a concern unless he has cotton balls or cloth directly placed upside down on the bulb. I would advise not putting anything directly on or above the heat source. 

With that setup, you will only see improvements of about 4-7 degrees where you will place your ants. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your best bet (using common household materials) to improving the trapping of heat is to line your box with aluminium foil. Place some foil on your vents and keep the thing closed. Line both the inside and outside of the box, the goal is to have as much air between the heated space and unheated space. At that point you should have a healthy 80-83 degrees F air temperature inside the box. Tetramorium ants will actively seek out spots between 89 and 92 degrees F; adjust to the data you have collected for your species.

Hope this helps.

It is wrong. Temps sometimes reach 95* F so I got a controller. I put vents to release some air.

#9 Offline Trythis22 - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:45 PM

Trythis22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Could I get your room temperature ranges please? Lowest and highest. Just curious. 

#10 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 7:26 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
72-84 F

#11 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted March 5 2019 - 2:34 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Why not add some Al. foil to inside and outside for more insulation? Def a cheap $15 thermostat that I bought to control the temp, works great and verified temps with an infrared temp gun to confirm. I actually need to add it to my resources list on the wiki.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#12 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 3:35 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I don’t want to over complicate this.

#13 Offline Apex - Posted March 5 2019 - 5:38 PM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

@rstheant just tips that's all bro!

#14 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 6:42 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yeah, I know.

:lol:

#15 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 6:45 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I don’t have an ant room like drtrmiller, and an ice chest. We moved recently so that’s why. When I get my domain (garage) back, I’ll spend some moola and buy and ice chest or something. Also, I don’t have much space in my room (currently).

:lol:

#16 Offline CoolColJ - Posted March 9 2019 - 5:26 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Styrofoam box works better, but maybe iffy with heat lamps

Works fine with my heat cable zig zagging on the lid or a large plastic heat mat gaff taped to the lid

can easily hit 20C+ degrees over ambient

Edited by CoolColJ, March 9 2019 - 5:27 AM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#17 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 9 2019 - 8:49 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Styrofoam box works better, but maybe iffy with heat lampsWorks fine with my heat cable zig zagging on the lid or a large plastic heat mat gaff taped to the lidcan easily hit 20C+ degrees over ambient

I tried that, but I accidentally killed my Aphaenogaster colony because it got hot. Reason why: the temperature rod thing fell out and even though it was 89.7 F it still got hotter.

#18 Offline CoolColJ - Posted March 9 2019 - 10:45 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Styrofoam box works better, but maybe iffy with heat lampsWorks fine with my heat cable zig zagging on the lid or a large plastic heat mat gaff taped to the lidcan easily hit 20C+ degrees over ambient

I tried that, but I accidentally killed my Aphaenogaster colony because it got hot. Reason why: the temperature rod thing fell out and even though it was 89.7 F it still got hotter.

Well I suggest gaff taping the temp probe.... :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#19 Offline Unitedus - Posted May 1 2019 - 9:04 PM

Unitedus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I also made incubator out of a box but i put gorilla tape on outside of box styrofoam inside on the bottom an a heating pad underneath the box.an heat lamp on the outside of it..inside the box it stays at 80 to 83 inside.while my ac is set at 65,70 degrees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users