• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmecophile crickets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2019 - 6:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Flipping over rocks in my yard today, I found an hibernating Tapinoma sessile colony. Nestled up among them was a myrmecophile cricket. That got me wondering, how does one introduce a cricket like that to a captive colony? Is it even possible?

Edited by ANTdrew, April 30 2020 - 5:48 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 3 2019 - 6:32 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
I don’t know but I discovered an Argentine colony last month with a few crickets living amongst them also. Why would there be crickets in a nest in the first place?

Edited by Jadeninja9, March 3 2019 - 6:34 PM.

#3 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 3 2019 - 8:22 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Maybe they accidentally came into the nest, and if they tried to escape, the ants would take notice and kill it?

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 29 2020 - 6:56 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just got a 4-500 worker Formica colony after accidentally destroying their home. Captured 8 or so myrmecophile crickets inside. What’s interesting to note, is that that 2 crickets are already being eaten by the colony. It seems that the colonies heightened allertness and less space allowed the crickets to be spotted more easily. The remaining crickets will groom the ants and try to induce tropholaxis. They seem to quarrel with each other and try to dodge around ants to avoid. Being noticed.
  • FSTP, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 5:06 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Are there multiple queens, or just one? But anyways, those crickets have a fascinating relationship with the ants.

Edited by AntsDakota, April 30 2020 - 5:07 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 30 2020 - 5:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Fascinating! And I need to fix the spelling in the title. HARD BURN
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users