• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rstheant’s Camponotus fragilis

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 3 2019 - 12:57 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Hi,

I wanted to start a journal on this species and here it is. I aquired this colony from nurbs last July with YsTheAnt. At first, I didn’t take good care of this colony. They were growing very slowly. Near December, I made an incubator and the growth rates started to speed up. I give them Sunburst Ant Nectar and crickets and fruit flies every 1-3 days to ensure maximum brood. This colony has 30+ workers, 14 pupa, 9 larvae, and a batch of 10 eggs. They also have two majors!!

Here are some pictures:

The photos were taken with my iPad, and a diffused flashlight. I was too lazy to get out my other equipment. :lol:

Edited by Rstheant, March 5 2019 - 3:20 PM.

• nurbs likes this

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 3 2019 - 1:02 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Did you put them on heat before they were on the incubator? I'm debating whether I should put mine in one as well, since they seem to be doing okay just on a heat mat.

#3 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 3 2019 - 1:16 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I used to heat them with a heat cable. They did okay. I keep them around 86-90 degrees Fahrenheit.

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 3:25 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
This colony has a new worker enclose. He was still white when I saw him. Other than that, brood count looks around the same. I also gave the some crickets. My Solenopsis xyloni escaped and attacked my Camponotus sansabeanus; they lost 4 workers. I’m glad they didn’t attack the golden colony. Here are some pictures of the majors:

As you can see, they are tucked close together.

Sorry the light reflected off the tube, even though it was diffused. Still hope you can see the majors, Billy and Bob.

Edited by Rstheant, March 4 2019 - 3:26 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline nurbs - Posted March 4 2019 - 4:10 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Looking good. They respond well to heat. I purposely don't heat or feed mine too much because once you do, they grow fast for Camponotus.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 4 2019 - 4:19 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Are these NCC? I wish these lived in Tennessee... We have C. castaneus though!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 4 2019 - 4:20 PM.

• nurbs likes this

#7 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 5:57 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yes, they are NCC. They have monster brood. Didn’t expect that much. If you lay all the brood around the cotton, it will be at least 1 cm ish tall! :yahoo:

#8 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 5:58 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
One dark major pupa coming up. I’ll update once he encloses. Any names?

#9 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 6:16 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I dub my fragilis colony RsCC. Boo yah nurbs!!

:lol: :lol:

:rofl:
  • nurbs likes this

#10 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 6:18 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Oh BTW, off topic, nurbs, the one of the tenuinodis queens that you gave me has a larvae. The other just has eggs.
I love this queen. :*

Edited by Rstheant, March 4 2019 - 9:23 PM.

#11 Offline anttics - Posted March 4 2019 - 7:05 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

This colony has a new worker enclose. He was still white when I saw him. Other than that, brood count looks around the same. I also gave the some crickets. My Solenopsis xyloni escaped and attacked my Camponotus sansabeanus; they lost 4 workers. I’m glad they didn’t attack the golden colony. Here are some pictures of the majors:

Sorry the light reflected off the tube, even though it was diffused. Still hope you can see the majors, Billy and Bob.

Oh man. Poor salsabeans. I had a colony of sansabenus with a 16mm queen, and 3 nanitics. This large camponotus did not need hibernation. Caught her on my spot. Which has a tiny micro climate. They where attacked by argentine ants. All workers were killed. The queen died a few days after the attack. It was a bummer. I will caught another one in a few weeks when they fly.

#12 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 4 2019 - 8:25 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

How do you have so much brood. :| Does your queen lay in batches? When my colony grows really fast, it usually only has ~9 pupae, since the rest eclose before a new one is created. I think my queen just kept laying steadily. Cool to see different forms of growth in these ants though.

#13 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:14 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Secret is:

Surplus in protein every 2-3 days, and heat.

#14 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:22 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Thanks for the questions. It’s good to know that people enjoy my updates.

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 4:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
The majors new name is BillyBobJoe.

#16 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 7:42 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ok, new major named: Billybobjoe.

:lol:

#17 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 9:06 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Let me know when you need names!  :lol:

• Rstheant likes this

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 9:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

How do you have so much brood. :| Does your queen lay in batches? When my colony grows really fast, it usually only has ~9 pupae, since the rest eclose before a new one is created. I think my queen just kept laying steadily. Cool to see different forms of growth in these ants though.

My chromaiodes queen never lays in batches. She lays every day almost. 

#19 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 2:43 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Same, she lays steadily, sometimes more after recent protien. Also, a simple Nurbs formicarium v2. works well for this species.
I’ll name the other major: Dudeant2908.

:lol:

#20 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 2:50 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

That’s just some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users