• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nest Mate Ideas

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LIFEsize - Posted February 24 2019 - 5:19 PM

LIFEsize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri
So I am starting out the colonies for this season and wanted to see what anyone on the community had to say about nest mates.

The basic idea of making one I had was to cut about a 5-6” vinyl tubing and block both ends with cotton. Then put it in my formicariums extra entrance hole. I just want a way to ensure my queen and colony have easy access to water within my grout nest. I have started to test it and blocked it with half a piece of cotton, then one with a full piece. The result for the half piece was it dripped out constantly. The full piece held the water in but evaporated or was sucked out by the dry grout at a rate of about 1” per 2-3 hrs. So my next obvious idea was to try two balls of cotten on the end that connects to the entrance and hopefully slow this evaporation or absorption.

On the other hand, I thought about just pouring either a blocked end with grout or plaster which is really simple to do. However, I’m unsure if it would work well or how thick the layer between the water and the ants should be..

If anyone has any suggestions or has a good solution to either of these two methods please share :)

Update 2/25/19:
I just wanted to let anyone looking into this topic know that the issue I was having with the tubes flooding the nest was due to not creating a proper vacuum. The tube can have cotton on one end connecting to the nest but requires the opposite end to be plugged air tight with something like a rubber stopper. As you fill the open end with water or other liquids it’s important to use your finger to cap the nest end and not release until you seal it. Then it’s okay to release.

Edited by LIFEsize, February 25 2019 - 4:31 PM.

• Rstheant likes this

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 24 2019 - 5:33 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

The idea of a nest mate has already been worked on by the owner of Tar Heel Ants, as seen here.  His also have an issue where the water can just push itself through the stainless steel mesh he uses to hold the water in where the ants would drink from.  I think this problem comes about from the water not being able to support itself behind the mess and gravity pushing it through (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) or the mesh just not being completely secured.

I would think your take on them is resulting in greater water loss due to the cotton possibly touching the grout itself, as the grout would easily wick the water from the cotton.  Another reason the water could be going through the cotton easily would be due to the cotton being over-saturated(?).

• LIFEsize likes this

#3 Offline LIFEsize - Posted February 24 2019 - 5:39 PM

LIFEsize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

I would think your take on them is resulting in greater water loss due to the cotton possibly touching the grout itself, as the grout would easily wick the water from the cotton.  Another reason the water could be going through the cotton easily would be due to the cotton being over-saturated(?).

Over saturation is a high possibility. I did dip the cotton in some water to make it easier to pack in the tube. I could try another one that remains dry before backfilling the tube with water, also avoid any fibers touching up on the grout surface.

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 24 2019 - 5:44 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Over saturation is a high possibility. I did dip the cotton in some water to make it easier to pack in the tube. I could try another one that remains dry before backfilling the tube with water, also avoid any fibers touching up on the grout surface.

I think keeping the cotton dry would be a good idea.  See if filling it with water, then packing the cotton in, like a test tube, would work better as well.

#5 Offline LIFEsize - Posted February 24 2019 - 6:34 PM

LIFEsize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Well in the mean time I can just connect a very short tube up to a test tube filled with water. I’m going to experiment with the grout and plaster blockers. This seems simple enough, but I’m finding that water is hard to contain no matter what. Seems like even just being near a dry surface (not touching) like grout it causes it to flood. I’ll see if I use about a half inch of grout to block the tube will result differently and post back here if I get good results. I do see one issue with my idea being that fitting the tube back into the formicarium might make tiny gaps for water to get by if the blocked end were to shift or vinyl tubing bending. Gotta try anyways :P

As for adding the dry unsaturated cotton then filling, seems to result in slightly better water retention. But not reliable as I can’t say if it were to flood under different temperatures and it seems that the grout still is absorbing from it too fast without even physically touching it. Still to try doubling up on cotton, but my hopes for this method are dying faster than my colony is thriving.

#6 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 24 2019 - 6:37 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You could fill one end of the tube with hot glue, and put cotton on the other side that is saturated but not over saturated to prevent any drips. You can even poke a small hole in the the hot glue to place a hypodermic needle in! For the nestmates that Tarheel Ants makes, make sure you cover the mesh with your finger to ensure a vaccum when you put the stopper in. Make sure nothing drips out, and the THA nestmate is ready to go.

I admit, this is a good topic for vacation feeders too. Instead of being filled with water, it being filled with some sugary substance like Sunburst Ant Nectar. It’s confusing. Thanks for bringing this up LIFEsize

Edited by Rstheant, February 24 2019 - 6:38 PM.

• LIFEsize likes this

#7 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 24 2019 - 6:42 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

One problem might be that plugging both ends with cotton will eventually cause the liquid inside to leak out. The point of the rubber stopper in THA nest mates is because you want to make a vacuum like @Rstheant said, and if you don't have that, then the liquid will still come out.

• LIFEsize likes this

#8 Offline LIFEsize - Posted February 24 2019 - 6:54 PM

LIFEsize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

You could fill one end of the tube with hot glue, and put cotton on the other side that is saturated but not over saturated to prevent any drips. You can even poke a small hole in the the hot glue to place a hypodermic needle in! For the nestmates that Tarheel Ants makes, make sure you cover the mesh with your finger to ensure a vaccum when you put the stopper in. Make sure nothing drips out, and the THA nestmate is ready to go.
I admit, this is a good topic for vacation feeders too. Instead of being filled with water, it being filled with some sugary substance like Sunburst Ant Nectar. It’s confusing. Thanks for bringing this up LIFEsize

It’s a very useful thing to have. My main concern was I’m not always home all week long, so something that can provide a direct source of water and humidity in the nest for 3 days would suffice.

The hot glue idea is brilliant! That would probably allow the cotton tube to be a viable option. I’ll have to give it a try. The rubber stopper sounds like a must now that you mentioned it or some way to create a vaccum which is most likely the original leaking issue.

Edited by LIFEsize, February 24 2019 - 6:56 PM.

• Rstheant likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users