• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tooting my horn.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted February 23 2019 - 6:56 AM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Anyone else get a euphoric kick when they wrestle down a tough identification? Here in Georgia we have fifteen listed native Pheidole species. I recently marauded a wild colony (got the queen, ~30 workers, and varying brood stages) and set about IDing them. It didn’t take long to get it down to the crassicornis type (widened antennal scape at point of insertion)...and I was 90% positive that they were indeed P. crassicornis...but there was P. tetra and P. diversipilosa to rule out, and 90% certainty was NOT sitting well with me! So after poring over side-by-side pictures on numerous websites and crosschecking ranges and looking under my cheap little Carson microscope at some specimens...I can now say I have it whipped! Pheidole crassicornis it is thanks to the major works’ general glabrous exoskeleton!! When I finally get around to posting pictures on here, I will just go that route instead of taking so much time to knitpick an ID, as I imagine there are many of you on here far more adept than me at this line of WORK!
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 23 2019 - 9:11 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Plot twist, its not Pheidole crassicornis.
  • dermy, Martialis, FSTP and 2 others like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 23 2019 - 12:05 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Sounds like Dorymyrmex bicolor to me honestly

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted February 23 2019 - 12:16 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Yeah? None of y'all can top my recent Formicidae sp. identification.

Spoiler

#5 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted February 23 2019 - 2:07 PM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

T.C. and Jadeninja, you fella's are cruel!  Hahaha.  I'm 99.9% positive of the ID and am unshakeable in the belief in myself as far as this particular ID goes. ;-P  I used a combination of actual specimens (of Pheidole crassicornis) under the microscope and comparisons on antmaps.org (for habitat ranges), antweb.org, antwiki, and an excellent guide for southeastern US species, https://mississippie...tml...alongsideother images from various sites found on google.  What did you find, Martialis?

• Jadeninja9 likes this
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#6 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 23 2019 - 2:46 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
Haha nice man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users