• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Jelly Food

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 21 2019 - 10:32 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I found this Zoo-med Creature Jelly Food Cups at Petsmart. I got the variety pack with three flavors: banana, Brown sugar and nectar. All of my ants love the banana. Haven't tried the others, but I think they will like them just the same.
My Brachyponera ate two servings in an hour or less!

#2 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 21 2019 - 12:39 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I think most jellies are made for other insects, but I’m glad your ants like them. I need to find an easier way to feed my ants. My current “vacation feeder” is a mash of all my insects, hummingbird nectar, and modified starch. I just make them into balls and give them to my ants.

Edited by Rstheant, February 21 2019 - 12:39 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 21 2019 - 12:46 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

This is made for feeder insects and other pet insects. So the package says...

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 21 2019 - 1:08 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I don’t know. I’m just glad your ants like it. There’s been some discussion about jellies and what most results are that they are made for other insects. But again, I can be wrong. I’m not a guru that sees all and knows all. :lol:

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 21 2019 - 2:09 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I might start selling this at my shop.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 21 2019 - 3:03 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The gels work well for insects that can chew and swallow soft foods, but I don't like the idea of sugar gels for ants because the ants can only lick them. You really don't want ants breaking up tiny bits of gel and storing it in the nest, which may be susceptible to mold.  It's much better if ants drink their sugars.

As I've said before, you need a sugar source that performs consistently and reliably for you, in that the worker ants should be strongly receptive to the food whenever they are hungry for sugars.  If these gels you're using perform well for you, keep using them.  I do think there are better options available for ants, however.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 21 2019 - 3:29 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 21 2019 - 3:31 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I think there are better sugars too. I just like the idea of this because ants like Aphaenogaster can take pieces of it to the queen and brood. I've also noticed that this is not a gel really. It is nearly liquid. It is not as solid as people may think.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, February 21 2019 - 3:31 PM.

#8 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 21 2019 - 3:55 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Any pics?

#9 Offline Wa.Va - Posted February 22 2019 - 2:38 PM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
They started selling these in Belgian animal stores to. My bird doesn't eat it, but all of my ants do, I gave a pretty big amount to all of them. And only 10% remains in each formicarium. Buried in sand. It contains amino acid, but I still will give them a variety of foods.

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 22 2019 - 2:41 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Yeah, it has small amounts of protein too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users