• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Good ID Site

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted February 17 2019 - 6:19 AM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
What is a good site for range maps and ID traits for ants of North America (specifically the southeast, really)? I don’t have any issue getting to genera, but getting to species is a bit of a chore. I know I could try and post pictures here, but it has been a very long time since posting on forums for me (think: fishindex forums back in the 1990’s), and as I understand it, that means signing up on an image-hosting site which means making yet another stinking name and password combination to forget and THEN jump through the various combination of hoops to post on the forum after uploading pictures from my device to the hosting site...so frustratingly tedious (call me “Curmudgeon”, it’s ok). So, back to the question...any good sites (that do not require a name and password, and phone number, and email address, and shoe size, and...) to get me down to species? I live on the eastern fall-line of Georgia and we have an incredible diversity of species here. Some of the Solenopsis, Crematogaster, Nylanderia, Pheidole, and Hypoponera are rough to differentiate. Thanks in advance! And please don’t be put off by my cynicism, I use it in jest (it keeps me sane)!
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 17 2019 - 7:09 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I use antweb.org due to the fabulous images they have of species.  You can probably figure out the site navigation fairly easily, feel free to ask again if you need any help with it.  I'm sure other users can recommend other sites.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 17 2019 - 8:43 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Imgur doesn't require you to sign up to it if you don't want to. You can just add pictures and get an Imgur link to them and post it into the forum. Usually I can find good pictures for identification just by searching up the species, then going to the pictures tab. Some sites post pictures of how to ID specific genera, and pogolumia.net does a pretty good job for most Pogonomyrmex.

#4 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted February 17 2019 - 7:18 PM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Thank you both very much! I did not know that about imgur and antweb is a dream-come-true!
  • Zeiss likes this
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 17 2019 - 7:45 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Antmaps.org is easily the best place to go for distribution maps. From there you can also find many publications about the species in the state you have selected.

• Nylanderiavividula likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users