• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sirjordanncurtis' Pogonomyrmex subdentatus Journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 15 2019 - 10:30 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I caught these queens in Antioch, CA at around October. At first, I kept them all in a cabinet but for around 1 month, but none of them laid any eggs. Afterwards, I put them on a heat mat, but even though they started laying eggs, none of them hatched. At this point, I pretty much thought they were all infertile. Then 1 larva from Colony 1 started growing and it pupated into a worker. I realized I was probably heating them wrong and decided to change their setup. I moved my queens into an incubator setup following YsTheAnt's example and the other brood started developing as well. The nanitic worker from colony 1 is much smaller than the ones from the other colonies for some reason. YsTheAnt also helped me ID them.

• YsTheAnt, TennesseeAnts and Nare like this

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 19 2019 - 7:21 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

All colonies now have quite a few workers. I made the mistake of accidentally leaving a thermometer in the outworld of one of my colonies which prompted a worker to crawl out. Then I accidentally placed her into the wrong colony. Realizing my mistake, I made an ever bigger oof, and took out the wrong worker from that colony. Now one of them is dead; her head was attached to a queen from the colony for some time before getting detached. On the other hand, I can't figure out where the other worker is, since it was accepted into the colony. I actually didn't know Pogonomyrmex could do that, I always thought of them as being extremely aggressive towards each other.

The largest colony is at 10 workers now.

Images will be coming soon!

• Nare likes this

#3 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 21 2019 - 2:31 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Wow, big mess up. Maybe that day, the ant gods cursed you!!! Dadum chhhhhhh! Ohhhh, ahhhhhhh.

:lol:

#4 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 21 2019 - 7:28 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Wow, big mess up. Maybe that day, the ant gods cursed you!!! Dadum chhhhhhh! Ohhhh, ahhhhhhh.

Well if they did, they're definitely feeling sorry about it. The largest colony has sooo much brood.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 22 2019 - 2:17 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users