• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants drowning in test tube resevoir

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m wondering if someone could help explain this. I brought my Tetramorium colony out of hibernation this weekend. They are living in three test tubes in an acrylic box. I put their box on top of a heat cable, and a couple days later I noticed a lot of condensation forming. I also noticed about six ants behind the cotton drowned in the water resevoir. I wonder if it was too warm for them or if they freaked out because of the condensation? Why would they dig behind the cotton?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 12 2019 - 7:00 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Condensation forms when warm water vapor comes into contact with a cold surface, loses energy, and changes from a vapor to a liquid.  To prevent condensation, keep the enclosure well-ventilated and the temperatures as stable as possible.  This way, the air is holding less water vapor, and the vapor that is present won't have a cooler surface onto which it may condense.

Ants dig into the cotton to get to the water, or out of a natural instinct to excavate a nest.  If they're drowning in the water behind the cotton, you should consider moving them to a new test tube.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 12 2019 - 7:02 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Shifty189 - Posted February 12 2019 - 8:01 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I wouldn't put a test tube setup under heat. not only does it raise the risk of this kind of thing, but it also doesn't make sense to me. Native ants where I live will be fine in an environment that stays in the same temperature range. 

Once they are large enough for an acrylic next I will add a heating cable if the temperature gets too low (62 degrees F for me).

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 12 2019 - 11:59 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I wouldn't put a test tube setup under heat. not only does it raise the risk of this kind of thing, but it also doesn't make sense to me. Native ants where I live will be fine in an environment that stays in the same temperature range.

Once they are large enough for an acrylic next I will add a heating cable if the temperature gets too low (62 degrees F for me).

While heat can cause problems, lots of species require some in order to flourish. 62F is way too low for many species.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 13 2019 - 5:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I have my house on a programmable thermostat, so the temp drops down to 58deg. while we are at work, so some form of heat is necessary. This is a sizable colony of 300+ ants.

I moved the cables farther away from the tubes, and condensation seems to have evaporated. I still see ants trying to dig into the cotton, though. I also gave them some new tubes.

With a second season colony just waking up from hibernation, would they just have an amplified instinct to excavate a nest?

Edited by ANTdrew, February 13 2019 - 5:04 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 13 2019 - 7:37 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I recommend either an incubator, or a dedicated small room with a space heater, such as a bathroom or closet, so that a constant temperature can be maintained.  A heating cable provides local heat, which will continue to cause the condensation problem if the ambient temperature surrounding the test tube is very cool.

• Shifty189 and ANTdrew like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 13 2019 - 2:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I recommend either an incubator, or a dedicated small room with a space heater, such as a bathroom or closet, so that a constant temperature can be maintained. A heating cable provides local heat, which will continue to cause the condensation problem if the ambient temperature surrounding the test tube is very cool.

That’s what I initially had in mind. I’ll try that out, thanks. Part of me wishes I had just left them in hibernation until my house warms up naturally. Would it be the end of the world to put them back in the fridge?

#8 Offline Dethundrel - Posted February 16 2019 - 1:43 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
If the heat cable is at the end of the tube without the water, you won’t have as many problems. If they are digging behind the cotton into the water, you need a bigger wad of cotton to form a tighter fit. A cotton wad that’s big enough will prevent any air getting behind it as vacuum will pull it along and there is no way for an ant to dig into it.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline PwnerPie - Posted February 16 2019 - 1:46 PM

PwnerPie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I have the same thing happen. Not horrible this year, but there was a puddle in a couple of them. Think it is a combination of how cold the water is vs the surrounding air and how tightly the cotton was packed. GL!
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 16 2019 - 1:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

If the heat cable is at the end of the tube without the water, you won’t have as many problems. If they are digging behind the cotton into the water, you need a bigger wad of cotton to form a tighter fit. A cotton wad that’s big enough will prevent any air getting behind it as vacuum will pull it along and there is no way for an ant to dig into it.

Thank you. I seem to have solved the issue by heating only a corner of the box the tubes are in. The cable is well away from the tubes now, and I don’t see any more condensation. I also gave the girls new tubes.

Edited by ANTdrew, February 16 2019 - 1:47 PM.

• Shifty189 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users