• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Oakland California~

myrmecocystus mexicanus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CorruptedWaffles - Posted January 31 2019 - 11:26 AM

CorruptedWaffles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOakland•California
Hello! My name is Lili and I'm a bike mechanic in the SF bay area of California. I also design enamel pins and I'm getting back into photography.

So, funny story how I ended up on this forum.

I have been watching Ants Canada for the last few days on YouTube and as it turns out one of my favorite little creatures is native to California. This has never worked out for me. Many of the species of any animal I wanted to keep were not native to my state...

But Myrmecocystus mexicanus is! And so I'm doing research to properly care for them.

This would not be my first 'tanked' animal. My first passion was betta fish, I kept them in proper set ups, but people just kept dumping dying ones on me and it just got to be a little too much in terms of bringing them back from the brink of death and the heartache when I couldn't. I currently have a crawfish that fell out of a bike I was fixing at work, and my boyfriend and I have a Ball Python we rescued from an abusive situation.

I'm excited to have found this place and I look forward to learning~

#2 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted January 31 2019 - 12:29 PM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County
Welcome to the forum!

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 31 2019 - 12:47 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Welcome. There's a lot of information on this site, specifically the Ant Keeping Guide for Beginners. http://www.formicult...-for-beginners/

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 31 2019 - 1:14 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum!  It might be hard for you to get your hands on M. mexicanus due to people not wanting to ship often and requiring you to pick it up.  Good luck!

#5 Offline CorruptedWaffles - Posted January 31 2019 - 1:21 PM

CorruptedWaffles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Welcome to the forum!  It might be hard for you to get your hands on M. mexicanus due to people not wanting to ship often and requiring you to pick it up.  Good luck!

I would definitely not want any ants to be shipped tbh. I am willing to travel from Oakland to pick them up. Unless that's a big no no here which would be unfortunate. Cali is such a big state but they are native so we will see~

#6 Offline CorruptedWaffles - Posted January 31 2019 - 2:40 PM

CorruptedWaffles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Welcome. There's a lot of information on this site, specifically the Ant Keeping Guide for Beginners. http://www.formicult...-for-beginners/

Thank you so much! I read through it but I think I'm going to go through it again, there is so much.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted January 31 2019 - 3:48 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Welcome to formiculture
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#8 Offline Xanuri - Posted February 11 2019 - 4:12 PM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

Hello! My name is Lili and I'm a bike mechanic in the SF bay area of California. I also design enamel pins and I'm getting back into photography.

So, funny story how I ended up on this forum.

I have been watching Ants Canada for the last few days on YouTube and as it turns out one of my favorite little creatures is native to California. This has never worked out for me. Many of the species of any animal I wanted to keep were not native to my state...

But Myrmecocystus mexicanus is! And so I'm doing research to properly care for them.

This would not be my first 'tanked' animal. My first passion was betta fish, I kept them in proper set ups, but people just kept dumping dying ones on me and it just got to be a little too much in terms of bringing them back from the brink of death and the heartache when I couldn't. I currently have a crawfish that fell out of a bike I was fixing at work, and my boyfriend and I have a Ball Python we rescued from an abusive situation.

I'm excited to have found this place and I look forward to learning~

Welcome, good to have you aboard! Lots of good information here and a lot of smart people!

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#9 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 11 2019 - 6:30 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
On behalf of Formiculture, we hope you have a pleasant time.

Sincerely,
Formiculture

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus mexicanus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users