• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forelius cf. mccooki journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:35 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Hey everyone. Today I went to Barbara Key Park at Lake in The Hills. I initially went there with AnthonyP163 to find Tetramorium tsushimae dealates. We had looked at the weather and decided that the conditions were perfect. Well, when we got there, we found ants flying, however, they were Forelius. Quite a rare sighting in Northern Illinois.

Anthony has significantly better camera equipment than I do and says "They're too pilose on their tibiae and scape for the recorded Forelius pruinosus." So this has kind of left us scrambling as Forelius pruinosus is the only listed species of the genus in Illinois. With that being said though, it's thought that Forelius pruinosus is a species complex and not a species, so this could be a species of Forelius that would be in the Forelius pruinosus complex.

Anyways,

I've got 3 queens and I introduced 2 workers to them. Hopefully I can get these girls to 'found' a colony and get some brood going. 

• AntsBC likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#2 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:48 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Good luck :D! I’ve been trying to find some Forelius, but can’t seem to locate any!
  • Mdrogun likes this

Spoiler

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 26 2019 - 8:39 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Good luck :D! I’ve been trying to find some Forelius, but can’t seem to locate any!

This species was found in a relatively hot and dry climate. It mimicked a desert as close as you can mimic a desert in Illinois :lol: . If you can find somewhere like that, your chances increase of finding them exponentially.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 4:29 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

This species was found in a relatively hot and dry climate. It mimicked a desert as close as you can mimic a desert in Illinois :lol: . If you can find somewhere like that, your chances increase of finding them exponentially.
Alright, thanks!

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users