• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Colony Killing Larvae

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 24 2019 - 6:54 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Last season I caught some Pogonomyrmex subdentatus queens, which now have workers. My largest colony, with ~15 workers, is starting to consume larvae for no apparent reason.

They have plenty of seeds and I do see some surviving larvae eating them. There are loads of smaller larvae, but once they get to the pre pupa stage they are almost all eaten.

They are kept in a dirt setup with a humidity gradient and at 90-94F. I check on them 1-2 times a day for 1-2 mins. I will start reducing this time to once every few days now.

Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Edited by YsTheAnt, January 24 2019 - 7:34 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted January 24 2019 - 7:13 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Are the larvae being completely eaten by the workers, or is it that the larvae are getting killed, and then eaten as a result of this later on? 

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 24 2019 - 7:34 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Are the larvae being completely eaten by the workers, or is it that the larvae are getting killed, and then eaten as a result of this later on?

The workers are eating the larvae while they seem to be alive.

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 25 2019 - 4:40 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Have you tried feeding different proteins, such as mealworms and crickets? Maybe the workers want some fresh meat instead.

#5 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 25 2019 - 5:04 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Have you tried feeding different proteins, such as mealworms and crickets? Maybe the workers want some fresh meat instead.

Yeah, but they seem to like seeds more. Also, I don't see why this would be making the workers kill the larvae, workers don't need protein. They need the protein FOR the larvae.

Edited by YsTheAnt, January 25 2019 - 5:05 PM.

#6 Offline CoolColJ - Posted January 25 2019 - 5:15 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

population control?

Killing larvae to feed larvae - :thinking:

Edited by CoolColJ, January 25 2019 - 5:16 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#7 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 25 2019 - 5:21 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I don’t know? Maybe ask nurbs, drew or FSTP, the Pogonomyrmex kings?

#8 Offline anttics - Posted January 26 2019 - 9:20 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
This has happen in some.of my colonies. When humidity was too low. They will eat all larva once it got to a certain size. I think they are defective due to low humidity. The workers seem to notice this defects, and kills the larva. I have been where you are it sucks. Make sure humidity is at 80 to 100 %. Make sure yoy explain the setup they are in.

Edited by anttics, January 26 2019 - 9:22 AM.

#9 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 26 2019 - 9:42 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

This has happen in some.of my colonies. When humidity was too low. They will eat all larva once it got to a certain size. I think they are defective due to low humidity. The workers seem to notice this defects, and kills the larva. I have been where you are it sucks. Make sure humidity is at 80 to 100 %. Make sure yoy explain the setup they are in.

I hadn't thought of this, but maybe you are right! I have hydrated their setup. They have loads of smaller brood, so hopefully the colony can recover.

#10 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 30 2019 - 4:49 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Despite increasing the humidity they continue to raise the larvae up to pre pupa or pupa and kill them. I think it might be due to stress. I am now going to leave their nest alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users