• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

forget this

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonavin - Posted January 21 2019 - 7:15 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York
Forget this

Edited by Jonavin, February 12 2019 - 6:05 PM.

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted January 21 2019 - 7:18 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

https://www.talkenglish.com

• T.C., CamponotusLover, Reevak and 3 others like this

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 21 2019 - 7:58 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
First of all we literally have pinned threads on this subject. Like it's reserved in an "important topics" section.

Also just commenting

"Are willing to send me a queen ant for free/paid"

Damn.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 21 2019 - 8:03 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

If you wish to purchase an ant queen/colony through this forum, you must provide your location in your profile information.

• AntsBC likes this

#5 Offline nurbs - Posted January 21 2019 - 8:46 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I need help of corse but I need a queen ant if some one is in new yourk for a begainer and of close again a habitat to if some one can recommend me stuff please and again if u are in new yourk and are willing to send me a ant queen for a begainer for free/paid please I need help

We can forgive this post if you are young, say 6-9 years old. But if you are at least in middle or high school, please spell and grammar check.

• CamponotusLover and AntsBC like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#6 Offline Jonavin - Posted January 22 2019 - 4:16 AM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York
Ok I’m 10 I’m bad at garamer I will list where I am on my profile ok

#7 Offline Jonavin - Posted January 22 2019 - 4:17 AM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York
Btw please don’t bully me

#8 Offline Jonavin - Posted January 22 2019 - 4:26 AM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York
If anyone actually trying to help please privet message me I have my location on my profile

Edited by Jonavin, January 22 2019 - 4:27 AM.

#9 Offline Jonavin - Posted January 22 2019 - 11:56 AM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York
Just one

#10 Offline Jonavin - Posted January 22 2019 - 11:58 AM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York
Are you in ny
New yourk

#11 Offline dermy - Posted January 22 2019 - 1:11 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

POPULAR

To be fair, if you are that young you shouldn't be using a forum at all. Most sites I know have the 13+ to register rules on them. At this point I think it'd be best if you talk to your parents before doing anything more.

As for ants, I'd say spend the rest of winter learning as much as you can and in the spring capture queen ants from mating flights and start from scratch. Much more rewarding in my opinion :D .

• dspdrew, Reacker, nurbs and 13 others like this

#12 Offline David19 - Posted January 22 2019 - 5:09 PM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

To be fair, if you are that young you shouldn't be using a forum at all. Most sites I know have the 13+ to register rules on them. At this point I think it'd be best if you talk to your parents before doing anything more.

As for ants, I'd say spend the rest of winter learning as much as you can and in the spring capture queen ants from mating flights and start from scratch. Much more rewarding in my opinion :D .

Well said, Dermy.

#13 Offline Will230145 - Posted January 22 2019 - 5:16 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
Ok, if you just started antkeeping IN THE WINTER that is a bad start. Wait until spring like Dermy said. And for English, just use auto correct

#14 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted January 23 2019 - 8:03 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Welcome to the forum. As others have said, winter is the best time to read up and study about species you are interested in keeping that are local to your area. Most ants are in "hibernation" and are not active, making alates near impossible to find. We are slowly approaching a time when Prenolepis imparis (winter ant, or false honey pot) are going to be having their nuptial flights (I believe, I do not actually have this species in my area) so that may be a good candidate to start your hunting with. In my area, April 20th-ish is when we have a big Camponotus flight typically, and they are very easy to find at night crawling on concrete. Again, this will vary for your locality, but Camponotus species in your area should fly around a similar time frame, early spring to early summer. 

Catching your own queen is a very rewarding experience, and I highly suggest getting as much information you can by perusing this forum, and any other resources you may find. If you have a question, chances are someone has already posted a similar one here, which makes the search bar in the upper right hand corner an invaluable resource on this forum. 

https://www.grammarly.com/ is another resource that is free to download and will automatically correct any spelling or grammar errors you may have while writing here in the future. I do not mean this in a way that makes fun of you, but hopefully this plugin can help you avoid remarks about your english skills in the future.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Edited by CallMeCraven, January 23 2019 - 1:07 PM.

• Reacker, T.C., CamponotusLover and 2 others like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#15 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 23 2019 - 10:57 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Grammarly appreciates your plug and your first electronic payment will be sent to you in 2-5 business days
  • Reacker and CallMeCraven like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#16 Offline Major - Posted January 24 2019 - 11:19 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

Btw please don’t bully me

No one is bullying you... This is one of the friendliest forums on the Internet.

Second, no offense, but before you start keeping ants you should learn to spell. Please. At age seven I could write a lot better than that. Grammarly is a great resource, and if you are struggling get some extra help in school. For your sake and ours. Not trying to come across as mean btw.

Next, if your that young you may want to rethink using online forums. I agree with Dermy. Do your parents even allow you to join online forums?...

And it is way more fun getting your hands dirty looking for queens. So much fun. Would much rather do that then buy, even if money was readily available. What city in NY are you in? I could sell you some this coming spring once I get back in stock. Even though it's bad for my business, I suggest you go out and find your own. At least for your first colony.

Edited by Major, January 24 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#17 Offline Reacker - Posted January 24 2019 - 1:40 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

People are complaining about your grammar, and rightly so. What they haven't done is explain why it matters. 

It matters because you're asking people to put forth effort to help you find ants and to teach you how to take care of them. But you aren't putting in even the mild amount of effort required to clearly communicate your goals. If you can't be bothered to put in the effort to communicate clearly when the effort required is so minimal, why would we bother to put in the effort to help you? We're here because we like ants, and ants take effort to care for successfully. Why would we go out of our way to help you get ants that, based on the evidence we have, you will certainly not put in the effort required to keep them alive? 

Good communication is an essential component of showing to others that you're a serious person, and people generally don't want to waste their time on people who aren't serious. Since we're online, the only way we have to judge you by is how you bother to write, and by that metric you're not a serious person worthy of spending time and effort on. 

The good news is that people are generally forgiving. If you work to improve yourself and present yourself more seriously, people will not care that you started out so badly. 

Also, Dermy is correct that you shouldn't be giving away your location to strangers on the internet at your age. You can never know who wants to talk about ants ,and who wants to take advantage of you given that you would have no way to defend yourself against an adult who wants to do you harm and will happily do so once they learn that you're an unsupervised child who is freely giving away personal details like this. 

• dermy, Canadian anter, Ant Broski and 3 others like this

#18 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 24 2019 - 3:26 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I really want to say something, but dermy post said what I was trying to say. Don’t post your location on a public forum, and catching ants and growing them into a large colony, is much more satisfying and rewarding. I’m pretty sure they are Tetramorium queens in New York, and whenever there is high rain and humidity, queens should fly. Go read Crystals ‘ How to catch queen ants’. There is a LOT of helpful stuff in there. The people in the forums really want to help people, and give and take advice. ;)

Edited by Rstheant, February 13 2019 - 3:22 PM.

#19 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 24 2019 - 4:55 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Does anybody else here smell a troll?

• nurbs, FSTP, Major and 2 others like this

#20 Offline Major - Posted January 24 2019 - 5:11 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

Does anybody else here smell a troll?

Not sure... But I’m fairly sure this “kid” isn’t ten, either much older and living in a foreign country so can’t speak English that well, or a lot younger. At this age you should be able to spell “York”,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users