• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

forget this

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Offline nurbs - Posted January 24 2019 - 9:02 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Does anybody else here smell a troll?

That's the first thing I thought, but everyone bought into the post, usually what trolls want. If you can figure out how to sign up for a forum, you should be more than an internet begainair.

• T.C. and Nare like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#22 Offline Reacker - Posted January 24 2019 - 10:36 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Yes, 100%. That was my first thought that I had when reading the title, it's just too perfect. And the quality of the title doesn't match the quality of the post. Nobody who has that hard of a time spelling basic words uses the words that are used in the post.

I decided to reply anyways because other young kids with grammar issues that see this thread can benefit from seeing the community reaction. Frankly I'm pretty happy that nobody here is reaming this supposed kid; we're all being pretty respectful and saying genuine things without the intent to hurt him. The poster may have set out to troll us all, but what have they accomplished other than mildly entertaining us, and showing that we're decent people who won't rip apart a little kid like people will on other forums?

Edit: also this entire thing has Terry written all over it.

gallery_10_657_13876.png

lol

Edited by Reacker, January 24 2019 - 11:16 PM.

• Enderz, FSTP and GeorgeK like this

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 25 2019 - 5:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm pretty sure this is not a troll.

Not sure what would make you think that. Kind of a weird thing to post with 0 evidence.

• dermy, FSTP and TennesseeAnts like this

#24 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted January 25 2019 - 4:15 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Not sure what would make you think that. Kind of a weird thing to post with 0 evidence.

This is starting to become an investigation.

Plants r cool

#25 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted January 25 2019 - 5:10 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

All I can say is, if you are 10, watch AntsCanadas old playlists of videos on how to care for ants, when to catch them, etc. They are good for younger kids and will prepare you for the Spring this year. It is not a good time to get a Queen/Colony during winter, but a perfect time to ready your ant-knowledge arsenal before anting season is back, which will in the long run, give you the best experience that you can get.

#26 Offline Jonavin - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:08 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York

Btw please don’t bully me

No one is bullying you... This is one of the friendliest forums on the Internet.
Second, no offense, but before you start keeping ants you should learn to spell. Please. At age seven I could write a lot better than that. Grammarly is a great resource, and if you are struggling get some extra help in school. For your sake and ours. Not trying to come across as mean btw.
Next, if your that young you may want to rethink using online forums. I agree with Dermy. Do your parents even allow you to join online forums?...
And it is way more fun getting your hands dirty looking for queens. So much fun. Would much rather do that then buy, even if money was readily available. What city in NY are you in? I could sell you some this coming spring once I get back in stock. Even though it's bad for my business, I suggest you go out and find your own. At least for your first colony.
I mean saying stuff like www.talkenglish.com my spelling is actually good but on the internet I don’t check my spelling

#27 Offline Jonavin - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:11 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York

no I’m not and if you think that just don’t reply

#28 Offline Jonavin - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:12 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York

All I can say is, if you are 10, watch AntsCanadas old playlists of videos on how to care for ants, when to catch them, etc. They are good for younger kids and will prepare you for the Spring this year. It is not a good time to get a Queen/Colony during winter, but a perfect time to ready your ant-knowledge arsenal before anting season is back, which will in the long run, give you the best experience that you can get.

I do that and thanks for the recommendations

#29 Offline Jonavin - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:18 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York

Yes, 100%. That was my first thought that I had when reading the title, it's just too perfect. And the quality of the title doesn't match the quality of the post. Nobody who has that hard of a time spelling basic words uses the words that are used in the post.

I decided to reply anyways because other young kids with grammar issues that see this thread can benefit from seeing the community reaction. Frankly I'm pretty happy that nobody here is reaming this supposed kid; we're all being pretty respectful and saying genuine things without the intent to hurt him. The poster may have set out to troll us all, but what have they accomplished other than mildly entertaining us, and showing that we're decent people who won't rip apart a little kid like people will on other forums?

gallery_10_657_13876.png

lol
ok to stop people thinking I’m a troll I’m not I’m actually 10 have my parents permission for all of this and the grammar issues is I’m just plain bad at grammar no my school doesn’t help with this why I don’t know most of my teachers don’t care about bad spelling. Who is terry

#30 Offline Jonavin - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:19 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York

This is starting to become an investigation.
please no

#31 Offline Jonavin - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:22 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York

Not sure... But I’m fairly sure this “kid” isn’t ten, either much older and living in a foreign country so can’t speak English that well, or a lot younger. At this age you should be able to spell “York”,
i am 10 born in 2008 and no not older I was born in USA so no I’m not from a foreign contrary “At this age you should be able to spell “York” sorry I’m bad at spelling my school doesn’t do anything about it

#32 Offline Jonavin - Posted February 12 2019 - 6:25 PM

Jonavin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHadly New York

Ok I’m 10 I’m bad at garamer I will list where I am on my profile ok

To be fair, if you are that young you shouldn't be using a forum at all. Most sites I know have the 13+ to register rules on them. At this point I think it'd be best if you talk to your parents before doing anything more.

As for ants, I'd say spend the rest of winter learning as much as you can and in the spring capture queen ants from mating flights and start from scratch. Much more rewarding in my opinion :D .
I do have my parents permission and ok

#33 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 13 2019 - 7:29 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

We do have a few other New Yorkers in the forum who have had experience with ants. However, the only way that they can sell ants to you is if you meet up with them, which might not be worth it. At the moment, there's definitely nothing flying in New York. Like CamponotusLover said, now would be a good time to do research on the different species inside of New York and figure out which ones you might be interested in. It would also help to get to know more about caring for ant colonies before starting. There are a ton of journals around that you can read for more information. If you go to the ant-keeping section and find the ant-keeping journals, there are quite a few of them that might interest you.

By the way, the server owner already acknowledged that he didn't think you were a troll. Other people were probably saying some stuff after it as a joke and didn't mean it to be anything if you are sincere. 

#34 Offline Hunter - Posted February 14 2019 - 9:07 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

This might be better for your age mate https://forum.antscanada.com/or https://www.antscana...-ants-for-sale/

• AntsBC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users