• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tubular ants

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Jean - Posted January 21 2019 - 3:43 PM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

I purchased a fabulous Tar Heel ants set up to replace my old set-up and attached the 1/4" tube to the new formicarium. My ants took off like cheetahs and began moving themselves and their brood (I have about 80 workers and huge piles of eggs) into the tube! Then, they just hung out there. All their other tubing is larger, and of course the test tube is large for them (crematogaster cerasi). They've been hanging out for three days now with no signs of moving into their (beautiful) formicarium. 

Thoughts? About a third of the colony + queen are still in the old set-up, which I've exposed to daylight by removing the paper cover from the test-tube.

As usual, I am being patient. Just wondering, has anyone had this happen?

#2 Offline Jean - Posted January 30 2019 - 3:54 PM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

I purchased a fabulous Tar Heel ants set up to replace my old set-up and attached the 1/4" tube to the new formicarium. My ants took off like cheetahs and began moving themselves and their brood (I have about 80 workers and huge piles of eggs) into the tube! Then, they just hung out there. All their other tubing is larger, and of course the test tube is large for them (crematogaster cerasi). They've been hanging out for three days now with no signs of moving into their (beautiful) formicarium. 

Thoughts? About a third of the colony + queen are still in the old set-up, which I've exposed to daylight by removing the paper cover from the test-tube.

As usual, I am being patient. Just wondering, has anyone had this happen?

OP here. Tube was blocked with an EXTREMELY CLEAR plastic but I am an idiot for sure :). Once I cut open the end, ants have gone inside the tunnels of the formicarium and are hanging out near the water tower, but they haven't moved in permanently. Still are keeping many of their pupae in the tube ... time will tell ... now I'll go back to my regular life and continue learning how to laugh at myself.

• TennesseeAnts and Wa.Va like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users