• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help! My queens too 'big' for my formacarium!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Abadayos - Posted January 17 2019 - 5:56 AM

Abadayos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hey all.

I've recently gotten my hands on a rather large Camponotus queen (banded sugar ant). She is almost 20mm in length and rather 'fat' for obvious reasons. Now I've gotten hold of a formicarium for her and her brood, however the size of the passageways look too thin and/or cramped.

I have one of the AusAnts starter ytong nexts and it looks like, from a beginners eyes, the tubing and holes would be too small to suit these possibly and certainly the Ants Canada thing I got given seems to be much too small too for the passageways. Banded Sugar Ants are rather large, workers are up to 8mm in length.

How should I look at proceeding? I'm not married to artificial nests and would honestly prefer a natural nest once the numbers get higher but these guys are slow growers. I'm toying with the idea of a tubes and container setup but, again, advice from those Aussies that have kept these would be greatly appreciated as I may just be panicking over nothing which also wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks guys and gals

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted January 17 2019 - 6:52 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Get a large tank, put sand or sand-clay substrate in it and leave the Camponotus in a test tube until they outwgrow it.

30x200mm test tubes work well for Camponotus, you can even make a tubs & tubes nest with them.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted January 17 2019 - 8:33 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I've seen plenty of consorbrinus in those nests.
The people that make the nests, also keep consobrinus in them.....

There are even bull ants in them

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users