• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

So much for desert anting

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2016 - 7:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

With every update worse and worse, wunderground.com has finally completely destroyed their once popular wundermap. There is now no website out there that will show the radar for the whole day on a readable, detailed map, therefor it's impossible to know where it has rained in the desert.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted August 12 2016 - 7:44 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

:mad:

Why in the world would they get rid of that feature?

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 13 2016 - 2:51 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Not pleased with the new map either. That may be something you get as a premium user now.

Edited by gcsnelling, August 13 2016 - 4:01 AM.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2016 - 9:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, the way things have been changing on that website ever since The Weather Channel bought them, they're dreaming if they think I'm going to sign up to find out.

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 13 2016 - 9:35 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

You and me both.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2016 - 9:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Clearly the work of a top-notch marketing team.

"Thanks for locking locking down all the satellite imagery features there were available free on your webpage Weather Underground. You making millions off your paid subscriptions and all the advertising you cram down peoples throats and now you want to force the casual viewer to pay for your product as well. Not my money! Not when its available free elsewhere. Back to NOAA/NHC for me."

"Thank you for updating Wundermap to where it is now useless. Why would you change something that wasn't broken?

"What happened to the time display when showing a moving radar map? Its hard to tell how fast a storm is moving without the time showing like it used to..."

"I can't use your new Wondermap set up. The advertising won't close and it covers the controls behind it. I also can't close the control panel like I used to either. Miss it already. Will be looking today for another place to track the weather. Please get this fixed and I'll be back."

"new wundermap is junk!"

"Has your web site been hacked? It looks nothing like it did yesterday. No controls.and full of ads."

"What have you guys done to the WunderMap? It's Terrible!! Nothing works right anymore, it doesn't save settings, it doesn't go to my house, it doesn't show storm tracks, and it doesn't even go straight to radar, you have to reset it every single time! Please bring back the old Wundermap. It wasn't broke! Why did you "fix" it?"

"Your redesign of Wundermap is awful. The controls are confusing and there is some godawful ad with an old ugly woman on there that I can't delete like I could before. I will never use it again."

"What is the deal with the new interactive wundermap on the site. Don't like it. I liked the old one where you could put it in motion at different speeds. And it does not pinpoint your location anymore. Put it back the way it was."

"What happened to the model data on WunderMap? That was a very useful feature and I'm disappointed it's gone."

"The new Wundermap is stunningly ugly! You have been deteriorating for years. Bye-bye Weather Underground!"

"Wundermap has been my go-to laptop radar for years. Haven't had severe weather here in TX for about a month, but will be in the coming days. With lightning in the sky and the smell of rain, I thought I'd see what was up on radar. Lo and behold, when I looked at Wundermap tonight, it's absolutely worthless to me now. Preferences not saving, no storm tracks, the side menu no longer can be hidden, favorite (home) location not saving . . . a valuable tool for weather preparedness has become utterly useless. I'll be looking for something else to keep me informed."

"Wundermap became totally useless today. No animation, no storm tracks, can't save preferences, just to name a few issues. Now it's just a map, have to set radar and don't know what direction the storms are coming from. All this at a time we are about to have a major rain issue. If it's not broken, don't "fix" it. I'll be looking for another radar site."

"I see other posts like this - you have totally messed up Wundermap with this afternoon's update. My bookmark that used to show me lightning strikes, storm paths, severe weather and automation now pops up with weather stations only. The animation button is off to the side. When I try to have it show tornado strikes it shows me that Michigan has had several hundred tornadoes today. Um.. no. I can no longer display storm tracks. This is worse than useless. Don't you folks test these things before you release them? It's called proper IT development discipline. First you test - THEN you release. Yes - I did this for a living for a Fortune 50 company for 30+ years and if I had ever released anything like this I would have been fired."

"Why do you guys keep making the wundermap worse and worse?"

"What did you do to WunderMap? Where are all the options? Where are all the fine-grained controls? What about the ability to save my view settings? As it is, your legend still has the storm track information on it but for the life of me I can't find how to actually turn that layer on. The animation is now just a hard to find stop/start and if the animation is stopped at the beginning of the loop I don't see any way to get back to current information without reloading the page (not to mention having to re-center and re-enable the radar layer)! Whatever you're serving up for the WunderMap on the web now is an unfinished mess. No warning to users just replace what was working with something that's stripped-down, unfinished and user-hostile. Whomever decided to let this thing go live should be fired!"

"Wundermap just changed! Went from Google Earth image to Mapbox WTF???????????????????????????? Lost the various settings I had, and doesn't seem to offer radar animation. No notice just within last couple of hours!!!"

"I have no more full screen in my pc, i have problem or it is an update problem?"

"What did you do to the WunderMap??? Suddenly, it's a "stripped-down" version that's VERY unfriendly! And you switched away from Google Maps? Are you TRYING to lose your credibility?"

"Why did you screw up the website options on wundermap?"

"I don't like the new Wundermap! I want my old hybrid back so I can clearly see where the storms are actually going - very important in tornado alley!"

"Was loving Wundermap at 3:00 PM EDT. Hate the new format: tracks gone, place pins gone - less control over settings. VERY disappointed. Undo. Dislike."

"The latest changes to Wundermap have me trying to find a different weather site. No button to save preferences, can't scroll down and check hurricane tracks and models. I absolutely hate it now"

"I hate what you have done with the Wondermap...too difficult to navigate! Have to find a replacement now!"

""new & improved" WunderMap stinks --- PLEASE --- bring back the previous version"

"As usual, you've 'fixed' something that wasn't broken! What the heck did you do to the Wundermap? It looks horrible, and won't let me sign in to my account, so NONE of my settings are there. I've been a paid member for a very long time, and it might be time to let that go..."

"What did you do to your WunderMap? It's a mess."

"We rely on your map for our current up to date weather. It's so much better then the news. Living where Tornado's happen and very severe straight line winds, it's nice to have information right now. With today's update, you have destroyed that. I have to reset the map every time I go in because you can no longer save those prefs. I can pick my favorite city/home town, but it no longer marks the spot on my map. I can't track current tornados. When I pick that option, it now only shows all tornado's for the season. This map is now useless to us."

"As a member I would like to comment on the Wundermap I saw today. You have taken a perfect app and neutered it. Reduced it down to the level of local TV, all you need is a first grade education . Taking out the Model layer is unforgivable."

• Martialis likes this

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 13 2016 - 10:03 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Wow sounds real popular. Can't even zoom with the scroll wheel on my mouse.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2016 - 10:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Only good things can happen when a company like IBM buys a weather website.

220px-The_Weather_Company_IBM_Byline.svg

• gcsnelling and Martialis like this

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 14 2016 - 11:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This is a not-so-bad replacement for now.

http://www.intellica...ocal/WxMap.aspx

Also, IBM's other website (www.weather.com) has an interactive map (https://weather.com/...interactive/l/l) that actually shows the rainfall totals for the past 24 hours. This was actually something I was looking for for some time. There are a few sites that do it, but the maps are horrible, undetailed, and can't be zoomed in.

This information is obviously based off the radar, since there's no data collected for a hundred miles in some areas. I have no idea what goes into their algorithm though, and what, if any other data other than radar is taken into consideration, but I'm hoping it will be better than my own estimations. It will certainly make things a heck of a lot easier.

Edit: Well it looks like the weather.com map is gone now, probably to force everyone to use the wundermap piece of garbage.

Edited by dspdrew, February 28 2017 - 9:51 AM.

• gcsnelling, Foogoo and kellakk like this

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 17 2016 - 2:51 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Me and my parents have used intellicast for over a decade. We like to do thunderstorm chasing, so they've used intellicast to follow the storms. We've never had any issues with it.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 17 2016 - 7:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well my issue with it is that I can only see the last 30 minutes or so of radar. I don't have time to check the radar every 30 minutes.

#12 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 18 2016 - 8:05 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

I like to use http://water.weather.gov/precip/ 

Doesn't update as fast probably, but definitely gives some good info on how much rain there's been. I like to use it to compare how much rain fell before a current rain to see how likely it is for an area to already have had flights. 

#13 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 18 2016 - 8:13 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Well my issue with it is that I can only see the last 30 minutes or so of radar. I don't have time to check the radar every 30 minutes.

Hahaha......IBM..... good times there as I still drive by..anyways...

I think I missed this but why can't you check it on your pocket phone? The apps are that bad? 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 18 2016 - 5:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Doesn't update as fast probably, but definitely gives some good info on how much rain there's been. I like to use it to compare how much rain fell before a current rain to see how likely it is for an area to already have had flights. 

I've used their site before, but I didn't remember it using that map that allows you to zoom in. Too bad the resolution of the radar is so low.

Hahaha......IBM..... good times there as I still drive by..anyways...

I think I missed this but why can't you check it on your pocket phone? The apps are that bad? 

Haha you think I'm going to remember to check the radar every 30 minutes, every day? You think I want to check the radar every 30 minutes, every day? I want to check it once when I wake up, and once when I get home from work.

#15 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 19 2016 - 8:44 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

I've used their site before, but I didn't remember it using that map that allows you to zoom in. Too bad the resolution of the radar is so low.

I would think two square miles ought to get you close enough unless there's just a single rain cloud pouring down with nothing around it?

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 19 2016 - 4:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sometimes the storms are only a couple mile radius.

#17 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 26 2016 - 2:50 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
Looks like I called it, this is what I got when I went to look at the radar at wunderground.

wundergroundsnip

• Martialis likes this

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 26 2016 - 6:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha yeah. So they destroy it, and then ask for people to pay money to use it. Makes sense...

#19 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 26 2016 - 6:55 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Do you have a cheap weather station? If you feed data to the WU, you get the full subscription for free without ads.  Not a great solution... but better than nothing.

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 26 2016 - 7:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I thought about getting one, but they are all pretty expensive. The site is useless now though, so I still wouldn't use it, even without ads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users