• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

FeedTheAnts Ant Journals - Crematogaster and Camponotus - Virginia - 2019

108 replies to this topic

#101 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 22 2019 - 5:55 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Do the Valentines have any alates yet?

Nope. They ate the alate larvae that they had earlier in the year, and I don't think they'll produce any more alate brood.

• Ant_Dude2908 likes this

Keeper Of                   Journal              Formerly TennesseeAnts               Ants I want to collect this year:

Crematogaster ashmeadi                                                                                                                                              #1        Polyergus ruber
                                                                                                                                                     #2       Camponotus castaneus

Crematogaster cerasi                                                                                                                                  

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus discolor

#102 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 22 2019 - 1:43 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I just boosted the Camponotus chromaiodes with some wild caught C. pennsylvanicus brood. It was about 40-50 larvae and pupae. Some of the pupae appear to be majors, and one of the larva is absolutely massive. I took them from a relatively young colony, so none of the brood will develop into alates.

• Ant_Dude2908 likes this

Keeper Of                   Journal              Formerly TennesseeAnts               Ants I want to collect this year:

Crematogaster ashmeadi                                                                                                                                              #1        Polyergus ruber

Crematogaster cerasi                                                                                                                                  

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus discolor

#103 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted Yesterday, 10:07 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationVirginia

A little update on the brood boost. All of the puoae and larvae have been carried into the nest and the workers are tending to the new brood. The extra larvae have increased the colony's appetite for protein as well, and last night they took a large spider. It was the first time they had accepted any protein food in more than a week. 

I plan on heading out to a hiking trail tonight after dark and seeing if I can catch some queens since today was especially hot. I would hate to miss out on Camponotus castaneus nuptial flights this year. Also, I'm pretty sure there are Colobopsis in my area, and since others seem to be catching them right now then I figured it would be worth it to look around. 

Edited by FeedTheAnts, Yesterday, 10:07 AM.

Crematogaster cerasi                                                                                                                                  

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus discolor

#104 Offline ANTdrew - Posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Good luck! I went out last night and came up empty handed.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#105 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted Today, 5:47 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Woohoo! Last night I caught a camponotus castaneus queen :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

I'm founding her in a mini hearth, not a test tube. Some people have had success founding certain queens in these, so I thought I'd try it out.

• Ant_Dude2908, rbarreto and ANTdrew like this

Crematogaster cerasi                                                                                                                                  

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus discolor

#106 Offline ANTdrew - Posted Today, 7:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Holy crap!!! FTA for the win!

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#107 Offline ANTdrew - Posted Today, 8:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I came up “empty test-tubed” again last night. Meanwhile my wife saw a “big orange/red queen” at the park. WTH???

#108 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted Today, 12:07 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I caught a Camponotus nearcticus queen this morning. Here's a short video of the two new queens :)

• Acutus likes this

Crematogaster cerasi                                                                                                                                  

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus discolor

#109 Offline Acutus - Posted Today, 12:46 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Congrats on the two new Queens!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users