• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Identify Your Lasius

lasius

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 5 2019 - 6:00 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Yesterday, I checked my Lasius worker specimens. Three specimens that I had thought of as Lasius neoniger  keyed out to be Lasius crypticus. The species are so similar that I used a microscope to identify them. I then looked at their distribution on antmaps.org. 

The above picture shows that they obviously are in most of those white states, but likely not documented. Confusion with the more common L. neoniger is likely the reason. I caught two queens of this species during a flight on Sept. 1st, which held mostly L. brevicornis and L. neoniger, but I caught the Lasius crypticus queens right as they landed. L. crypticus is so rare that I have never found a queen wandering the ground, I always have to see them flying first. I encourage anyone from the United States to make an attempt at identifying Lasius and figuring out if they're L. crypticus or not. 

I figured mine out by using these antwiki keys: 

http://www.antwiki.o...maxillary_palpi

http://www.antwiki.o..._Lasius_Species

I noticed my specimens had the setae on their antennae pushed down, and had low amounts of setae on their legs. This is unlike L. neoniger and like L. crypticus

Here are some pictures of one of the specimens: 

• James C. Trager and T.C. like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users