• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Manitobant’s solenopsis xyloni journal (discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 31 2018 - 8:23 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I found what I believe to be a solenopsis xyloni queen in Palm Springs. I’m pretty sure it’s a xyloni since our area may be too dry for invicta. I will be caring for her until I either decide to kill her (for my entomology collection of ant specimens) or release her. Here is the Queen:http://www.formicult...a-08fd8b2a056c/

Edited by Manitobant, January 5 2019 - 7:38 PM.

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted January 1 2019 - 8:05 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Aww don't kill her, Send her to me before you leave Palm Springs, CA, I'll pay for shipping and handling (I'm not far from Palm Springs Ca, so she shouldn't be in post that long). Then I can continue the journal! :D  Only half joking.

Edited by FSTP, January 1 2019 - 9:21 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline Will230145 - Posted January 1 2019 - 8:08 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
Wait a minute, how is this a journal if the queen is going to be dead?

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 1 2019 - 9:38 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Aww don't kill her, Send her to me before you leave Palm Springs, CA, I'll pay for shipping and handling (I'm not far from Palm Springs Ca, so she shouldn't be in post that long). Then I can continue the journal! :D  Only half joking.

I would only kill her if she is confirmed to be invicta. Snelling said she might and I sadly can’t ship queens or give them to others for a private reason that I really don’t want to state.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 2 2019 - 5:24 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
I found another queen that i am almost 100 percent sure is xyloni. She will be known as queen #2. Here is the image of queen #2:http://www.formicult...0190102-171835/

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 2 2019 - 7:01 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
I would like to also state that the for sure xyloni queen (queen #2) will probably be released unless something comes up.

#7 Offline FSTP - Posted January 2 2019 - 7:06 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I would like to also state that the for sure xyloni queen (queen #2) will probably be released unless something comes up.

were you planning on mounting/pinning her?

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 2 2019 - 7:15 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

were you planning on mounting/pinning her?
i will probably pin queen #1 (since she might be invicta) and i am only doing this since i am doing a project on ants and taking sample specimens of each species i find. I also probably can't sell queen #2 for personal reasons (please don't ask) i am making this journal to see if they lay eggs.

Edited by Manitobant, January 2 2019 - 7:18 PM.

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 3 2019 - 11:57 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
Queen #2 died for some unknown reason.

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 5 2019 - 7:37 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
Queen #1 has been frozen because she was definitely invicta, considering our area is infested with them. She was also infertile, as her gaster was partly crushed so it didn’t really matter. This journal has now been discontinued.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users