• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The health of ants/do ants get sick?

propolis health of ants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline wolfshape - Posted December 29 2018 - 2:16 PM

wolfshape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi All!

I am a beekeeper and my bees use propolis to use it as a natural form of antibiotics... 

Now I was wondering, do ants also use something like that? Or if not, why don't they get sick?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

#2 Offline Leo - Posted December 29 2018 - 5:06 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

They do get sick. Well, they get parasites such as mites and nematodes. 

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 29 2018 - 8:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome! Bees are my first love, which led me in a roundabout way to this crazy hobby. To answer your question, ants are extremely cleanly creatures. They spend much of their waking time cleaning each other. They also possess a special metapleural gland that produces anti-microbial secretions.
I’m sure more knowledgable folks can chime in here as well, but I hope that helps.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Subverted - Posted December 30 2018 - 11:06 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
This is a complicated subject. The short answer is yes, absolutely.

On the more detailed side of things you have a large variety of organisms that can be pathogenic in insects and some that specialize on ants. One of the main culprits are entomopathogenic fungi. As Leo mentioned they can also get mites or nematode infections and they can also be infected with bacteria (Wolbachia/Spiroplasma/etc) or viruses. When talking about the bacteria/viruses there are generalists and then species specific ones like Solenopsis invicta virus 1, 2, and 3, Linepithema humile virus 1, or the more general Deformed wing virus (common in hymenopterans).

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#5 Offline wolfshape - Posted December 30 2018 - 2:10 PM

wolfshape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you very much for your answers... I got enough keywords/links to search further!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users