• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bonjour from Canada,Quebec

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline spartANTS - Posted December 31 2018 - 12:50 PM

spartANTS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVaudreuil, Quebec, Canada
greeting all
I was always fascinated by ants.This micro society is amazing to watch and interact with it.
So in April 2018 I started to raise ants. At this time I have 10 colonies (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus, C novaeboracensis, C herculeanus. Myrmica incompleta, M rubra, Formica subsericea, Tetramorium immigrants x3, Lasius neoniger) and
7 queens in founding (Camponotus novaeboracensis, Lasius spe x3.Solenopsis molesta (3). Aphenogaster spe x2.Monomorium Pharaonis (2) (died).
I didn't wanted to create a journal for each colony, but I still wanted to share my passion with the "world".
So we (my wife and I) started a YouTube channel (SpartANTS).
I'm using the formicarium from Tarheel ants. We spared no expense.... lol.
A big thank you to Canadian Anter and those who wrote the care guide, it helped a lot.
Happy New Year !

• Lazarus, Will230145 and Nare like this

#2 Offline Nare - Posted December 31 2018 - 1:22 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Always good to see another Canadian. I actually caught my first queens in Quebec, but they've all passed.. I've had no luck with Camponotus.

#3 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 31 2018 - 1:23 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania

Welcome, you can be assured that we will try to answer any questions you have and you should have a lot of fun!! I would recommend a big journal for all of your ants, we will all enjoy your ants journey if you do make one, I have several journals as well! Happy anting and welcome again!!!  (y)   :)

#4 Offline Lazarus - Posted December 31 2018 - 2:01 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Yes nice to see another Canadian. I've found 3 Queens while visiting Montreal (2x Lasius Neoniger, one Lasius Americanus) but they all died while the local ants I find here are mostly fine. Just bad luck I guess.

I like you videos especially the Myrmica incompleta. Very nice looking species. Keep them coming.

• spartANTS likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#5 Offline spartANTS - Posted December 31 2018 - 5:45 PM

spartANTS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVaudreuil, Quebec, Canada

Thank you for the warm welcome . :)

#6 Offline Leo - Posted December 31 2018 - 6:10 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Hi from china!

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 31 2018 - 6:28 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I also live in Canada (Winnipeg) and welcome to the forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users