• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cyphomyrmex minutus colony

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Wedge - Posted December 28 2018 - 4:56 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

Hello all. I just wanted to share a couple colonies of Cyphomyrmex minutus I've been keeping since early this summer. I was replacing some wooden boards around my garden that had begun to rot and while pulling them up came across two of these colonies.  They were laid out perfectly between boards and to be honest I wasn't 100% sure what they were, but I ran inside and grabbed something to gather them in.  I put them in large plastic containers with some foil wrapped test tube set ups sitting inside hoping that they would congregate in the dark test tubes and sure enough they did.  I looked them up and when I realized what they were was immediately skeptical of whether or not I would be able to keep them successfully as I had never kept a fungus growing species.  When I took a closer look at the ants in the test tubes I saw the yellow piles of yeast granules separate from the brood pile so I knew I had collected their fungus farm and had hope that I would be able to keep them. I searched this forum for everything I could find and thankfully had some plaster sitting around so the following pictures are what I was able to cobble together that afternoon to put them in and I am glad to say they have been doing pretty good for the past several months. 

103A1108

103A1103

I have a cardboard sleeve that keeps them dark most of the time but I removed it for the photos.  I plan on making them a nicer out world, but this is what they have been in since I collected them and I've kept it this way for simplicity sake until I was sure they were doing well.  I've been giving them hornworm droppings which they take readily and feeding them honey. You can see some of their garden on the right of the entrance in the second picture.

103A9929 (2)

103A9773
103A0113
103A0112

They tend to keep the brood pile separate from the yeast and frass but sometimes they mix them up.  You can see a few pupae here wedged in next to a piece of hornworm poop.  I see a few "sheep" individuals in the colony that are covered in white bacteria that have the antimicrobial properties for their fungal garden. These pupae seem to have that same while film on them and I wonder if the ants move these pupae around to help sanitize things.

cyphomyrmexpupae

And lastly a picture of the queen sitting on her brood pile.  It takes me a while to spot her sometimes because she is not as differentiated from the workers as in C. rimosus but she tromps around much more authoritatively than everyone else and I find that to be the easiest way to find her.

cyphomyrmexqueen

I know I've got a few photos on my phone of right after I got them in the test tubes that I'll try and find and upload later.  I'll also try and take some more photos of the other colony and post them and give an update when I give them a nicer out world but I wanted to share these for now. Hope you all enjoy!

• Zeiss, Aaron567, FSTP and 3 others like this

Current Colonies:

Camponotus festinatus, Camponotus sansabaenus, Camponotus sayi, Camponotus texanus, Camponotus vicinus, Leptogenys elongata, Monomorium minimum, Pachycondyla harpax, Pheidole dentata, Pheidole floridana, 

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 28 2018 - 5:10 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Cool setup! I've tried to keep my local Cyphomyrmex rimosus before and it has never worked out because I can't keep their setup dry enough. It looks like what you build works very well. I may have to copy this ;)

I also find it interesting that the yeast grown by your colony is white. The yeast produced by the Cyphomyrmex in my area has a pale orange color.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 28 2018 - 8:31 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
So jealous! I’ve always wanted a fungus grower but we sadly don’t have those in Canada...

#4 Offline Wedge - Posted December 31 2018 - 1:37 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas
Thanks Aaron! The set up did seem a bit too wet initially and the ants that did move into it at first seemed lethargic like their feet were sticking to the plaster itself. I thought it might also be some residual oil in the plaster that I used to help it slide out of the mold, but adding some dry coco fiber in their outworld really seemed to be the secret. They almost immediately started moving it into the nest and it created kind of a buffer for them to walk on and within an hour they were completely moved in, brood, fungus farm, and all.

Also the color of the yeast changes with the color of the caterpillar droppings I give them. Dark green makes it the most yellow and that's the way the wild colonies are around here too.
  • Aaron567 likes this

Current Colonies:

Camponotus festinatus, Camponotus sansabaenus, Camponotus sayi, Camponotus texanus, Camponotus vicinus, Leptogenys elongata, Monomorium minimum, Pachycondyla harpax, Pheidole dentata, Pheidole floridana, 

#5 Offline Wedge - Posted January 4 2019 - 9:06 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

Here are a few pictures of when I first collected them.

20181110 002548
20181110 002326
20181109 040421
20181107 222715

I know in one of these images you can see the queen but she is almost impossible to find. I spent forever staring at this tube to make sure I had found her.

Current Colonies:

#6 Offline Wedge - Posted January 4 2019 - 11:21 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

So I finally moved my other colony into their permanent setup.  They have been in there for about a week now and seem to be doing well.  Their fungus farm has grown a bit and I put some crushed up beetle wings in their out world that they pulled in and added to their nest. They had been in the new nest for a few days with their old out world, but when I added the new one a flurry of activity erupted.  A ton of ants came out to inspect it and I was surprised to see even the queen came out to give it a quick look. Here are a few pictures and short videos I was able to take on my phone of them when they first moved in.

20190101 030311
20190101 030344
20190104 231758
20190104 231854

This last one shows the queen before she ran back into the nest.

Cypho queen

• Aaron567, YsTheAnt and CoolColJ like this

Current Colonies:

#7 Offline CoolColJ - Posted January 5 2019 - 1:15 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Sweet looking outworld :)

• Rstheant likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#8 Offline Wedge - Posted January 6 2019 - 7:24 AM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

Thanks! The nest and outworld were both made out of plastic card cases which just seemed like the perfect size.

Current Colonies:

#9 Offline Wedge - Posted January 8 2019 - 5:58 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

I took a peak at the colony in the column nest the other day and they seem to be doing great! They have a ton of pupae laid out in one section that I was excited to see and a good pile of eggs and larvae that the queen was going back and forth between. I finally connected them to their new outworld and they were so excited to see it they immediately came out in droves to explore it. I'll try and post some video soon once I can get it all uploaded but here are some of the pictures I got for now.

103A1391(1)
103A1434
103A1479

You can see the queen really well in these.
103A1361
103A1395
103A1372

103A1517
103A1520

Edited by Wedge, January 8 2019 - 6:07 PM.

• YsTheAnt, Nare and Wa.Va like this

Current Colonies:

#10 Offline Wedge - Posted January 8 2019 - 6:55 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

Here are some videos I was able to get of them checking out their new outworld.

Edited by Wedge, January 8 2019 - 8:12 PM.

• Nare likes this

Current Colonies:

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 10 2019 - 10:29 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

You are lucky to have such a nice sized and healthy colony! I had a colony of C. rimosus a few months ago, but the queen ended up dying and I had planned on finding another one this spring to introduce to the colony, but the workers had a massive die off and I ended up just releasing them all. I do want to collect another colony though, and I know where one is, or the general area, so, next spring I'll try to find them.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline Wedge - Posted January 10 2019 - 12:56 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

Good luck finding them! I've seen their colonies spread out between rotten wood and the ground and then I've also found them very compact in a couple of small pits right next to each other underneath fallen branches or wood. Hopefully the ones you find are in a tight group that you can grab easily.  I've noticed that sometimes if you don't see brood right away, it is hidden away in a lower pit under or adjacent to their fungus garden under something like a leaf or thin piece of wood.  I had seen these in the parks around here but was super surprised to find them in my backyard.  It is drier than the kind of place I would expect to find them in and really sandy.  What kind of set up were you keeping them in? I'm curious to get different ideas for the future. I don't see many posts about these but I see people mention that they have them. 

Current Colonies:

#13 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 10 2019 - 8:13 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Good luck finding them! I've seen their colonies spread out between rotten wood and the ground and then I've also found them very compact in a couple of small pits right next to each other underneath fallen branches or wood. Hopefully the ones you find are in a tight group that you can grab easily.  I've noticed that sometimes if you don't see brood right away, it is hidden away in a lower pit under or adjacent to their fungus garden under something like a leaf or thin piece of wood.  I had seen these in the parks around here but was super surprised to find them in my backyard.  It is drier than the kind of place I would expect to find them in and really sandy.  What kind of set up were you keeping them in? I'm curious to get different ideas for the future. I don't see many posts about these but I see people mention that they have them. 

I had them in a plastic container with a few chambers and a hydration chamber. I wanted to get them in a plaster setup, but I got the plaster too late. I have a journal on them if you want to check it out.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users