• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's the dumbest mistake you've made in this hobby?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted September 17 2019 - 8:06 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Using a water dropped to directly hydrate the nest of my P.Californicus of an stom nest through one of the extension holes. I overwatered once and killed them, the colony was growing well.

Allowing my C.Fragilis to escape.

#42 Offline FSTP - Posted September 17 2019 - 10:56 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

not joining this forum sooner. I lurked for like almost two years before joining, lol

• MrPurpleB, Mettcollsuss, ponerinecat and 2 others like this

#43 Offline Hightlyze - Posted September 17 2019 - 11:03 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
Meeting Leo
  • Zeiss, Canadian anter, ponerinecat and 3 others like this

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#44 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 18 2019 - 4:01 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have killed/almost killed a few colonies in my time by forgetting to water them  : /

#45 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 18 2019 - 5:36 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
My biggest mistakes were dropping and breaking my tube of solenopsis molesta and the whole colony subsequently dying from stress, not feeding a tetramorium simillimum queen thinking she was fully claustral (she was not), and killing off numerous formica subsericea colonies I found by experimenting with new setups and DIY formicariums.

#46 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted September 18 2019 - 5:47 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Found my first ever Odontomachus queen, Odontomachus ruginodis, and set her down on a large table outside so I could open a container. She started freaking out for a few seconds and then died. I picked her up and felt the table and it was extremely hot. Yes, I boiled an Odontomachus ruginodis queen...

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#47 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted September 18 2019 - 7:23 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
When I started heating my ants I thought little heat = good so lots of heat = even better! Turns out enjoying the heat is much harder when your test tube is flooding. RIP Two Tetramorium Immigran and a Formica queen.

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, September 18 2019 - 7:24 AM.

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 18 2019 - 7:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My biggest regrets are the times I released a Monomorium minimum and a Solenopsis molesta queen thinking they were too small. I’ve learned that these are fun ants to keep, but I didn’t find any new queens this year.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#49 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted September 18 2019 - 8:09 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Once, I found a colony of Linepithema humile at a pool when I was still very new to the hobby, and found a small colony of yellowish, slow moving ants within the mass, all laid out in a circle and moving around very slowly. I had no idea what the were, so I just left them alone. In hindsight, I just let an entire Strumigenys membranifera colony go to waste...

• Mettcollsuss likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#50 Offline Major - Posted September 18 2019 - 2:22 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

Taking a break from ant keeping for almost a year. And then selling all my bugs for ridiculously low prices. I sold a massive true hair tarantula plus four smaller tarantulas for 40 bucks total when i could have sold all for like 350. And then selling my mantids, roches, mealworms, and of course ants. 

#51 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted September 18 2019 - 3:57 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky
I found a six worker Camonotus pennsylvanicus colony in a small log that I decided to place in a jar. When it got really cold in my dorm I left them on top of a wax melter intending to leave them only for a few minutes. I was letting my xbox run to get warm so I could put them next to it but decided to get them warm quick since my dorm was around 65F. I fell asleep for about two hours and when I woke up all of the colony was at the top of the log scratching at the lid, the wood had been charred on the bottom, and their leftover insect meals had sort of melted and charred. They must have thought it was armageddon.
Needless to say, they did not survive my very idiotic and frequent mistakes leading me to join this forum when they finally perished so I could do better next time around.

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#52 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 18 2019 - 4:08 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Killing a formica queen and eating some S.xyloni workers.

• TennesseeAnts and Somethinghmm like this

#53 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted September 18 2019 - 8:33 PM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County

You can't just tell us you ate Solenopsis and not give us some context.

• dermy, TennesseeAnts, Ferox_Formicae and 2 others like this

#54 Offline Silq - Posted September 18 2019 - 10:53 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA
I sliced the back of a tetramorium queen. You could see the white inside. I was moving a tube connector and she was hiding under it and I didn't see her. She walked away and seemed fine but then she had a worker riding her wound. She was cut in half the next day.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#55 Offline Silq - Posted September 18 2019 - 10:54 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Details coming out on your next episode

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#56 Offline Dnail - Posted September 19 2019 - 5:07 AM

Dnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBandung, Indonesia
threw away Odontoponera queen who I thought was dead, after pokking her so many times and she remained silent so I thought she was dead.
after I threw it away, I saw her running. she faked her death  %)

• Guy_Fieri likes this

Colony:

2 Odontomachus aciculatus 

2 Polyrachis Dives

3 Camponotus sp

#57 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 19 2019 - 6:52 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

did they sting you? That must've hurt lol
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

#58 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted September 19 2019 - 11:38 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I've had aspirator mishaps twice before. The first time I was collecting some Brachyponera chinensis queens, but the mesh wasn't fine enough. They got sucked right into the back of my throat and both of them stunk my uvula... That was an absolutely miserable night and it was incredibly difficult to breathe. More recently with my new aspirator, two very small, brightly colored Solenopsis invicta workers crawled up into the suction tube of my aspirator. When I was trying to collect a Cyphomyrmex rimosus worker, the two ants were sucked into my mouth and one of them stung my tongue.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#59 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 19 2019 - 2:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They decided my aspirator tube was nice enough to start nesting in

• Guy_Fieri and Somethinghmm like this

#60 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 19 2019 - 6:35 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Knocking over a mini-hearth, shattering the outworld, smashing the only worker pupa the colony had made in months, and now I am left with a single Camponotus hyatti queen,
Worker dead .

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users