• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rock Formicarium V2

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SuperFrank - Posted December 19 2018 - 6:01 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
This is the second version of a rock themed nest i have been working on, The material is plaster with a small amount of portland cement, as well as vermiculite for texture/color difference, iron oxide was used to get the color. It uses a tha style water tower, i also cut the glass and made the enclosure myself b/c i couldn't find a good sized box.
IMG 20181219 201638832
IMG 20181219 201700900
IMG 20181219 201716501
IMG 20181219 190422160
IMG 20181219 201624783
IMG 20181219 201652255

• Enderz, FSTP, Lazarus and 2 others like this

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted December 19 2018 - 6:17 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

That looks amazing! love the the riverrocks in that chamber.

• SuperFrank likes this

#3 Offline GeorgeK - Posted December 30 2018 - 3:38 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Hey, when you said iron oxide was used for color, did you literally scrape rust from iron and add it to mixture?

#4 Offline neoponera - Posted January 13 2019 - 8:44 AM

neoponera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnuevoleon mexico

i think that a chamber that big will only keep atta and acromyrmex fungus growers calm

i fin colonies like pheidole or camponotus prefer chambers at least 5 times bigger than the queen maximum

#5 Offline SuperFrank - Posted January 30 2019 - 3:43 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Hey, when you said iron oxide was used for color, did you literally scrape rust from iron and add it to mixture?

No you can buy iron oxide as a powder or premixed with water to make a liquid dye

#6 Offline SuperFrank - Posted January 30 2019 - 3:45 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

i think that a chamber that big will only keep atta and acromyrmex fungus growers calm

i fin colonies like pheidole or camponotus prefer chambers at least 5 times bigger than the queen maximum

this is actually more of a prototype/case study type thing, i made others with smaller chambers as well but i wanted to see what one giant one would look like

#7 Offline Jean - Posted January 30 2019 - 3:59 PM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

Very cool, especially because the water tower kind of blends in and looks like another rock. Reminds me of a cave. Is that silicone holding it against, the glass, or some kind of glue?

#8 Offline AntJohnny - Posted April 1 2019 - 11:16 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
That is really cool. I've been wanted to make my own formicuirms so I've been looking at alot of DIY and professional builds. This build you did is amazing looking and a practical design.very cool😎

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users