• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Crematogaster pinicola Journal (Updated 5/25/19)

crematogaster pinicola journal

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 15 2018 - 8:06 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Crematogaster pinicola

Crematogaster pinicola is a bicolored species that is found only in the far southeastern states. In the wild they nest exclusively in pine trees, hence their species name. Other than their color and the trees they nest in, they are basically identical to C. ashmeadi which are all black. They also happen to be one of the most common Crematogaster species in Florida.

I've had this colony for a while and I've been meaning to start this journal but I kept forgetting. Here is how they've been growing since I caught the queen.

July 26, 2018

Eggs laid.

hdYlPX2.jpg

5E2rfQU.jpg

August 7, 2018

First pupae.

fHc8PlX.jpg

2GDJIq0.jpg

August 16, 2018

First nanitic.

rNfyA62.jpg

SLUgZIO.jpg

BxXi48G.jpg

September 23, 2018

nDPMr6m.jpg

J8HC0Xg.jpg

October 21, 2018

3RFlfi1.jpg

November 15, 2018

SgBnXt5.jpg

IO9JtES.jpg

ldmoxCU.jpg

December 15, 2018

Now they have about 60 workers with a pretty good brood pile. They have a very good appetite and do not look like they will slow down anytime soon. Looking forward to this colony becoming large!

Edited by Aaron567, May 25 2019 - 6:13 PM.

• rdurham02, FeedTheAnts, Mettcollsuss and 2 others like this

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 16 2018 - 3:01 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Nice colony! I have a founding C. lineolata queen. I'm hoping she does as well as your colony!

#3 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 27 2018 - 11:02 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Nice photography!

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 27 2018 - 4:59 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

December 27, 2018

I have estimated the colony to be at about 90 workers now. There is a pretty big pile of brood, so I expect the size of the colony to double in the next two weeks or so. In the pictures it's not as easy to see the brood because of the white sand, creating barely any contrast with the brood. It's harder for me to take the test tube out of the outworld to get pictures because at this point they'll just swarm my hand. They are very active and kinda crazy.

I also want to mention that most of the workers in this colony are quite large. Like, larger than any Crematogaster I've seen.

wiDgGap.jpg
5p7jdrk.jpg

BG6dVVM.jpg

3X5Sj3q.jpg

fLDg69B.jpg

p9EahuH.jpg

• T.C., rdurham02, FeedTheAnts and 2 others like this

#5 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 27 2018 - 8:09 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania

December 27, 2018

I have estimated the colony to be at about 90 workers now. There is a pretty big pile of brood, so I expect the size of the colony to double in the next two weeks or so. In the pictures it's not as easy to see the brood because of the white sand, creating barely any contrast with the brood. It's harder for me to take the test tube out of the outworld to get pictures because at this point they'll just swarm my hand. They are very active and kinda crazy.

I also want to mention that most of the workers in this colony are quite large. Like, larger than any Crematogaster I've seen.

wiDgGap.jpg5p7jdrk.jpg
BG6dVVM.jpg
3X5Sj3q.jpg
fLDg69B.jpg
p9EahuH.jpg

Stunning pictures, what camera do you use?!
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

#6 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 28 2018 - 11:41 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Canon Rebel SL1

#7 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 29 2018 - 8:39 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania

Canon Rebel SL1

Thanks!

#8 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 31 2018 - 2:27 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

December 31, 2018

The queen just laid more than 100 eggs. I'm getting ready to move the colony into a formicarium because they are about to outgrow this setup quickly.

oLxP12n.jpg

WqPpUsX.jpg

• rdurham02, FeedTheAnts and Mettcollsuss like this

#9 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted January 16 2019 - 5:48 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Wonderful journal as always :)

You mention that the only difference between Crematogaster pinicola and C.ashmeadi is color, with C.ashmeadi being all black. I always thought that C.ashmeadi sometimes could have a reddish coloring, especially on their thorax. I actually have a colony of Crematogaster that I'm almost certain is C.ahsmeadi, but they are not jet black. They also aren't as red as the ants in this journal. Is it true that C.ashmeadi are all black? and is there usually a slight amount of variation when it comes to the coloring of Crematogaster ants even of the same species?

Thanks and sorry for posting a question on your journal, but I wanted to hear what you thought.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#10 Offline Aaron567 - Posted January 16 2019 - 6:58 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Wonderful journal as always :)

You mention that the only difference between Crematogaster pinicola and C.ashmeadi is color, with C.ashmeadi being all black. I always thought that C.ashmeadi sometimes could have a reddish coloring, especially on their thorax. I actually have a colony of Crematogaster that I'm almost certain is C.ahsmeadi, but they are not jet black. They also aren't as red as the ants in this journal. Is it true that C.ashmeadi are all black? and is there usually a slight amount of variation when it comes to the coloring of Crematogaster ants even of the same species?

Thanks and sorry for posting a question on your journal, but I wanted to hear what you thought.

There are lots of different Crematogaster species in the eastern US, and a lot of them look almost identical. I've never heard of lighter brown or red ashmeadi but species like C. lineolata, cerasi, and pilosa that appear to be a lot more variable in color. Perhaps your species is one of those.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#11 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 16 2019 - 9:05 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Nice to see you finally got a colony of these going. It's been so long since we've talked :/ You should make a video of these guys, too, I'd love to see that.

• Aaron567 and Rstheant like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#12 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 9 2019 - 2:17 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

February 9, 2019

Probably about 200 workers now. I think there are still more pieces of brood than workers and there's still a huge pile of pupae. Some of the eggs being laid are likely trophic eggs to feed the larvae with. Yesterday I started moving the colony into their first formicarium, a Tar Heel Ants Fortress, and they're almost completely moved in now.

5LP5UPM.jpg

reKYd3c.jpg

dlPCBu8.jpg

4YhnXFi.jpg

• Ants4fun, T.C., AnthonyP163 and 3 others like this

#13 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 16 2019 - 3:48 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

February 16, 2019

They stuck all the brood to the glass.

jh8Bwog.jpg

9kxRrwB.jpg

• Canadian anter, T.C. and Zmagz like this

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted February 16 2019 - 4:30 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Beautiful.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#15 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 16 2019 - 6:12 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Pheidole Hyatti, and aphaenogaster occidentalis also do this. :D
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 4 2019 - 4:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
My Crematogaster ashmeadi are growing fairly quickly with 15 workers and over 150 brood. Any tips?

#17 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 14 2019 - 4:55 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Absolutely stunning. Yeah, good luck trying to ID these gals :)

#18 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 25 2019 - 6:12 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

May 25, 2019

I released this colony into a pine tree today. They grew too fast for my liking and they needed so much food. Felt like keeping Solenopsis invicta. 

#19 Offline jtremain - Posted August 4 2019 - 3:01 PM

jtremain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have a queen still in the tube and am trying to decide if I want to add her to my permanent collection. I am curious about the following if you would:

1. How aggressive?

2. Preferred carbs and proteins?

3. Would a low protein diet stabilize the growth issue with this species?

4. Other comments, problems, concerns, other good or bad assets to this species?

Thanks.

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 4 2019 - 7:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t keep C. pinicola, but I’m a big Crematogaster fan. Why not add them to your collection?

1. Mine aren’t aggressive at all and don’t even care much when I bump their nest or anything.
2. For carbs I just feed mine Sunburst. They like all insects I give them and some cooked meats. These ants eat like crazy.
3. Why not have a big vigorous colony? If you starve them, escape proofing will be impossible.
4. Given time, these ants can and will escape any set up. They are hell-bent on exploring and have a Peter Parker grip and climbing ability. Escape proofing is the biggest problem with these ants.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, pinicola, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users