• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Found a Lasius claviger Queen, What Should I Do?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2018 - 7:52 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I was flipping over some rock along a path in my neighborhood, when I saw a medium sized ant run under the rock when I flipped it over. I looked thinking it was probably a Solenopsis invicta, and I saw that it was a Lasius claviger queen! I was very excited as the queen I caught during their nuptial flights in November was killed by a Lasius neoniger queen. I found her siting alone, no other Lasius species around. She had no eggs or anything else. I want to keep her, but I don't know where to find Lasius workers as I have yet to see any in South Carolina. Is there any other genera I could introduce her to, like maybe Colobopsis or maybe even Linepithema humile? She is doing alright at the moment, and I will be introducing one of each potential substitute species to her. I will update on how the results go.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted December 16 2018 - 11:39 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Put her back where you found her.

• FSTP and ANTdrew like this