• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this safe for Novomesser and other ants?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 10 2018 - 7:31 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I was browsing Amazon, when I found this.

30ML PROTEIN SYRUP FOR QUEENS ANTS AND ANTS COLONYS
by anthouse

Is this safe, for ant consumption. It was tested, but I’m not too sure. Please give feedback.
Thanks!
  • DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted December 11 2018 - 3:25 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
There's been a fair bit of discussion about these jellies/syrups, "food","protein","jelly" and similar words should yield results, I was involved in a few threads as I wondered about making my foods.
In short - they were designed for beetles mostly and not tailored for ants.
- Some use milk derived proteins which are useless to ants.
- It is best to present protein and sugar as seperate foods, having a mixture risks adults getting too much protein and larvae getting too much sugar. These protein mixtures tend to contain a lot of sugar, which is what attracts the ants to it, they are not seeing it as a protein source.
- These protein foods are not a balanced source of proteins and the proteins present may not be accessible to the ants or larvae anyway.

So that's just some of the information you'll uncover when searching the forum, my take on it is that feeding as wide a variety of different proteins and sugars is best, no processed foods should be fed as a main or sole source of either sugars or proteins but I don't think they'd hurt if fed as part of a varied diet.

Others have their own thoughts on the matter, there are threads discussing the subject to be found if you hit the right search terms.
  • FSTP and ANTdrew like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users