• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Formicarium Designs For All My Ants

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 6 2018 - 11:54 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I'm sort of a perfectionist and I get angered if something is not perfect, that's why I am not pleased with my current formicariums and I want to make a much better design for all of their nests. I want everything to be as accurate to their nests in the wild as possible, but I still want to be able to see everything that goes on inside of the nests. For all of the soil dwelling species I own, I want to make nests out of hydrostone and lined with their preferred soil type. I want them to be similar to the ones Ray Mendez makes for his ants. That's really what I'm going for. I want to be able to light them from the top so I can get some good footage of them and some nice videos for YouTube documentaries on my channel, Ferox Formicae. For my twig nesting species, what I am already doing is cutting open the twigs that the ants inhabit and carving out the soft interior with a knife. I have already done it for my Colobosis obliqua colony, but I am going to let them hibernate before they move in. I am really excited to make the nest for my Cyphomyrmex rimosus as I plan on creating some nice fungus chamber for them. I am very excited to start on these nests, and I will probably start this weekend.

• DaveJay likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users