• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ExponentMars - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:00 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

So my honeypot ants have a mite problem - there are these small white mite crawling all over the place. How do I tell if they are harming the ants, and if they are, how do I get rid of them? 

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:40 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Probably just trash mites.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline iulius - Posted June 21 2021 - 4:15 AM

iulius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFrance

Speaking about mites, I saw in previous discussions in this forum that insects should either be boiled (during about 3 seconds) or frozen (1 or 2 days) before being given to ants.  This will kill most mites and parasites.

In case insects are frozen, how do you thaw them?  Micro-waving during a few seconds, leaving them 1 hour at room temperature, directly putting them frozen in the foraging area?

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 21 2021 - 4:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A small insect will thaw on its own very quickly. I dip mine in boiling water, though, because freezing alone is not enough to kill some mites.
  • iulius likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users