• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving test tubes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jean - Posted November 23 2018 - 8:21 PM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

Hi, I'm very new to this but did buy from GAN a crematogastor cerasi queen who came with four workers. The test tube they came in was pretty dirty, so within a few a days I decided to transfer them. Didn't go great as I couldn't get them to move … long story short one worker was lost in a flood as I pulled the cotton forward, but I did get them moved. It's a month later, and lots of brood, and I'm hoping for advice about how to move them right this time They are fine in their (now dirtying) test tube, which is covered. The queen hangs out near the water, the workers sometimes come to the edge of the test tube. I've read that taping two test tubes together can work, and using light to hurry them along. Any experience using these AC portals? Thanks.

#2 Offline Derpy - Posted November 23 2018 - 9:29 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA

Personally, with my Crematogaster I just taped two tubes together. Because they my Crematogaster are a desert species I put a heating cable next to the clean tube and the they moved towards the heat within a couple minutes. 

• DaveJay likes this

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#3 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 24 2018 - 7:35 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
I've heard that multiple times, the most common things are attracting them with warmth and darkness and repelling them with light and cold.

#4 Offline Jean - Posted November 24 2018 - 10:32 AM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

Thanks, both replies very helpful. I've noticed they do love their warmth.

• DaveJay likes this

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted November 24 2018 - 4:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck with the queen. I have three Crematogaster queens hibernating in my basement now. I really hope they are successful.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users