• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is there a substitute for Ytong

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Sopkojohn - Posted November 23 2018 - 8:28 AM

Sopkojohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I live in Michigan and I can't find ytong anywhere. I have plenty of molded rocks for siding homes and chimneys. I would like to use this for a homemade ant nest, although I don't know if humidity would spread thru the neat and make it stable for the colony. Does anyone know what else can be substituted for Ytong

#2 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 23 2018 - 9:49 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Firebrick is popular

#3 Offline Major - Posted November 23 2018 - 10:21 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
K-23 Firebrick, grout, gypsum, etc.
(Also, post #500!)

#4 Offline FSTP - Posted November 23 2018 - 11:13 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I like hydrostone. its easy to work with(if not a bit messy) takes to pigments nicely, and is fairly strong. 

#5 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted December 12 2018 - 7:17 PM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County

I've used pumice. It's easy to drill through, and you can even use a screwdriver if you want. Very lightweight and durable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users