• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I be worried?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted November 22 2018 - 11:07 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

I checked on my polygenous Lasius alienus colony two days ago and I found that all the workers separated themselves from the queens. Now I have one tube just with queens and one tube with only workers. Is this bad? 

7sT3Cq0.jpg

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 22 2018 - 11:48 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
My Camponotus chromaides colony did this too. I don't think it is a bad thing, but it is a bit strange.

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted November 22 2018 - 1:33 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California
I think you should be kind of worried. The reason that the workers moved is because the cleaner test tube is most likely more healthy. However, the queens are too stubborn to want to move, which causes the workers and queens to be separated. You should probably make sure they are all together so that the workers can easily attend to the queens.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted November 22 2018 - 1:49 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

I think you should be kind of worried. The reason that the workers moved is because the cleaner test tube is most likely more healthy. However, the queens are too stubborn to want to move, which causes the workers and queens to be separated. You should probably make sure they are all together so that the workers can easily attend to the queens.

Thank you

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 22 2018 - 6:30 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Are they separating the brood? I often see eggs in one chamber, larvae in another and cocoons in other chambers. Just a thought.

#6 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted November 23 2018 - 12:29 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Are they separating the brood? I often see eggs in one chamber, larvae in another and cocoons in other chambers. Just a thought.

The funny thing is they have no brood except for 1 larva that stopped developing. They ate all of the brood, probably because I was too busy to feed them enough. The 1 larva is with the workers.
  • DaveJay likes this

#7 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted February 22 2019 - 9:04 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

How are these doing?

Plants r cool

#8 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 22 2019 - 11:17 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

How are these doing?

3/4 queens were killed and the queen has not lain eggs yet. They also ate the 1 larvae. They have been well fed though, there are always repletes.

#9 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 23 2019 - 11:27 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You could dump the queen in the other tube, and plug off the other tube, so they are forced to move into the other tube and then you can put a different, cleaner tube. However, this is strange. Only time will tell. :thinking:

#10 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 23 2019 - 11:30 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

How are these doing?

3/4 queens were killed and the queen has not lain eggs yet. They also ate the 1 larvae. They have been well fed though, there are always repletes.

Repletes? Or do you mean workers with distended gasters. The only CA species that make repletes are Mrymecocytus, and maybe winter ants.

#11 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 23 2019 - 5:59 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

You could dump the queen in the other tube, and plug off the other tube, so they are forced to move into the other tube and then you can put a different, cleaner tube. However, this is strange. Only time will tell. :thinking:

They're all in a single tube now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users