• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Best books about ants?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Online ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2018 - 12:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I first got really into ants after reading some great books about them several years ago. As the weather grows colder, what better time to find some good books about ants? These are some of the best ones I've read:

Journey to the Ants by Holdobbler and EO Wilson (I never could make it through his The Ants, though)

Adventures Among Ants  by Marc W. Moffett

The Lives of Ants by Laurent Keller

Bees, Wasps, and Ants by Eric Grissel

Insects and Gardens by Eric Grissel is also an excellent read though not directly about ants.

Does anyone out there know of more great ant books? I'd love to find new ones to help me through the winter!

• rdurham02 and Mettcollsuss like this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted November 20 2018 - 7:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Another really fun read I almost forgot is:

The Earth Dwellers: Adventures in the Land of Ants by Erich Hoyt

It's written in a narrative form, which is really unique and entertaining.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 20 2018 - 7:54 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have read both The Earth Dwellers and Adventures Among Ants, they are both really good books.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted November 20 2018 - 12:21 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Ants of North America: A Guide to the Genera by Brian L. Fisher and Stefan P. Cover is an invaluable reference.

Ants at Work by Deborah Gordon is a very interesting read.

• Mettcollsuss and ANTdrew like this

#5 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted December 18 2018 - 3:47 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
The Fire Ants by Walter R. Tachinkel, a good read for anyone serious about fire ants and their background
The Superorganism by E. O. Wilson and Bert Holldobbler, a bit more general and more towards social insects in general
Spoiler

#6 Offline Leo - Posted December 18 2018 - 4:18 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Junior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

"the ants" by E O wilson is a great book! I have the hard copy at home, its pretty huge. 

"The Leafcutter Ants: Civilization by Instinct" is also a pretty good book for those keeping leafcutter ants (its also by E O wilson)

• ConcordAntman likes this

#7 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 18 2018 - 4:37 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I just got Journey to the Ants, and it's really good. From what I've read so far, it's basically a slimmed-down, less complicated version of The Ants.

• FSTP likes this

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted December 18 2018 - 9:07 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Not about ants but still a very interesting read:

- Bee Democracy (Thomas Dyer Seeley), you will find a lot of parallels to ants in this but also some things in which bees are vastly different, it gives you a nice comparison if you already know a few things about ants (and shows how similar/different eusocial insects can be).

If you're German and interested in a broader picture you might also like:
- "Stachel und Staat" (Michael Ohl), this book is not primarily about ants but more about the entire Aciculata (stinging hymenopterans aka bees, wasps, bumblebees and ants) group, mostly about wasps (which are by far the biggest and most diverse members of this group). It gives a good overview of this group of insects and the entire pattern of behavior from solitary to eusocial wasps and bees (obviously ants are eusocial by default).

• Mettcollsuss likes this
We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Join the antkeeping discord chat! & reddit - r/antkeeping

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline FSTP - Posted December 18 2018 - 10:02 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I just got Journey to the Ants, and it's really good. From what I've read so far, it's basically a slimmed-down, less complicated version of The Ant

Yeah that one is pretty coo. I was looking through my childhood book collection and I had that in there to my surprise. I find the end of the book pretty intesting with its early 1990's ideas on keeping ants.

There are videos of my ants here: https://www.youtube....bN5yYK2KWXA0vQ?

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted December 18 2018 - 10:10 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationGermany

I find the end of the book pretty intesting with its early 1990's ideas on keeping ants.

The really interesting part there is that you can actually keep Oecephylla in test tubes (well, some sort of weird test tube tree), especially when considering how many people fail at keeping them because they repeatedly kill the tree on which they live.
We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Join the antkeeping discord chat! & reddit - r/antkeeping

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline FSTP - Posted December 18 2018 - 10:41 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Yes that Test tube tree held together with fixtures is pretty cool idea.

There are videos of my ants here: https://www.youtube....bN5yYK2KWXA0vQ?

#12 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 19 2018 - 4:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Journey to the Ants is an incredible read!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users