• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I Found a Colobopsis obliqua Satellite Nest, Where Would the Main Nest Be?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 13 2018 - 4:08 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I was looking in the White Ash Tree in my front yard for some Colobopsis sp., and I ended up coming across a Colobopsis obliqua nest, but it just ended up being just a satellite nest with no queen in it, just about 20 minors and five majors, and a whole bunch of brood. The tree is rather small, being about 25 feet tall. There are also a whole bunch of Pseudomyrmex pallidus nests in it, I've seen three colonies so far. Where would the queen be? Would she be on the same main branch these ones were on, or would she and the others be on a different branch?

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users