• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antz colony

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antz - Posted November 10 2018 - 4:32 PM

Antz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

My first colony ever is a pheidole megacephala colony, I bought it from a local through the gan project. My first night with them didn't so good around 5 of them were dead in the morning I am sure this was my fault for not offering something for them to eat when I got home with them. My first attempt at feeding them didn't go so well either, that is why I currently have them in a cheap food container that I turned into a formicarium. After that I wanted my first attempt at ant keeping to be a successful one so I bought some ant food and fluon from tarheelants, a digital humidity with temp monitor from eBay and a set of byformica feeder on eBay too. I also have an acrylic formicarium on the way. So far I learned that these ants love humidity it's their best friend, my queen does not leave the moist cotton ball in the test tube at all. They don't like jelly so much but seem to have a taste for superworms and honey. I also noticed that these ants are extremely calm and tame when I open their formicarium for cleaning they don't panic at all they just continue with what they are doing which is normally chilling by the cotton ball.
20181110-191312.jpg

I bought some red transparent foil to cover their current setup but I felt it let to much light in so I am just covering it up with a towel and have a little dollar store light to make clean up time easier.
20181110-191223.jpg

Edited by Antz, November 10 2018 - 7:15 PM.

• FSTP and DaveJay like this

#2 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 10 2018 - 8:23 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Pheidole don't care about being exposed to light in my experience, so you can just leave them open all the time, and enjoy the view :)

• DaveJay likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#3 Offline Antz - Posted November 10 2018 - 8:37 PM

Antz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

They don't mind it? Well shoot been playing with my 3d printer setting on making a box to cover the formicarium from red transparent pla

Edited by Antz, November 10 2018 - 8:58 PM.

#4 Offline Antking117 - Posted November 10 2018 - 9:11 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I don't believe ants are bothered by lights at all, I keep all my ants on my desk year round through the sunlight and lamp lights they do not care at all. They go about their business. Only time they ever go crazy is if i remove the lids to any of the containers.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline Antz - Posted November 10 2018 - 10:22 PM

Antz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Interesting so far everyone I talked to has told me that some type of red film or covering is a recommended thing when keeping ants.

#6 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 10 2018 - 11:38 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Only needed with new founding queens, once they have workers, I expose them all to light

some queens will lay eggs even exposed to light

Edited by CoolColJ, November 10 2018 - 11:39 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#7 Offline Antz - Posted November 11 2018 - 9:21 AM

Antz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I see I wish more people would add that detail in the forums I seen on ant keeping. They just mention that they need darkness and that is it. After adding a 2nd moist cotton ball which raised the humidity up some more I see all my workers are a lot more active now, never seen them this active. I guess it shows how sensitive this species is to humidity.

20181111-122313.jpg

Also, the little light I bought for them is working out great as an observation light. 

Edited by Antz, November 11 2018 - 9:32 AM.

#8 Offline Antz - Posted November 11 2018 - 8:58 PM

Antz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Went to see if she lay any new brood.
20181111-201058.jpg

My apologies for the bad quality my camera did not want to focus at all with that photo.
20181111-200954.jpg

I think they like the extra humidity from the cotton ball I see them out of the test tube more often now.

Edited by Antz, November 11 2018 - 9:01 PM.

#9 Offline Antz - Posted November 17 2018 - 2:55 PM

Antz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Today arrive the formicarium I ordered. Now to modify it to accept the humidity and temp probes I bought for it.20181117-175259.jpg

Edited by Antz, November 17 2018 - 3:46 PM.

#10 Offline Antz - Posted December 6 2018 - 12:59 AM

Antz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Every time I give them a cut worm they seems to want to cover the cut opening with rocks quite funny to see them do this

Edited by Antz, December 6 2018 - 1:01 AM.

#11 Offline DaveJay - Posted December 7 2018 - 3:02 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

In my experience keeping small animals it's better to just monitor the ambient temperature and humidity in the area you keep them rather than inside the enclosure itself. Over time you develop a routine and you just need to monitor the ambient conditions so you can make adjustments for extreme conditions if needed. Trying to have the perfect temp and humidity at the same time is futility, adjust one and the other changes, you'll just end up at extremes. 

Edited by DaveJay, December 7 2018 - 3:07 AM.

• ANTdrew and Wa.Va like this

#12 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 12 2018 - 9:33 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I don't know if you want that cotton ball in the outworld. Generally you want the foraging area dry. They might just be out because it feels like an extension of the nest. I'm not totally sure if I'm right, though, because I'm still pretty new to antkeeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users