• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cryptic ant spotting thread

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#81 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 19 2019 - 2:16 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

How is this possible. You guys have amazing luck. Or I'm just natural ant repellant.

Again, not luck, just skillz.

#82 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 19 2019 - 2:46 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I should probably mention that I found a Strumigenys pilinasis dealate today. I was looking through mulch, flipping it over an what not, and to my left I noticed something move (it was on the undisturbed mulch). Thought it was a temnothorax worker, turned out to be this queen. I also know that a colony of these ants lives somewhere in that mulch, I really want to find them.

Where is this?

Jasper Indiana. It’s been raining for the past 3 days and the temp was about 75 degrees with high humidity. Seriously though, if you have trees in your yard (landscaping is not recommended) with mulch around them, it’s literally an ant MAGNET. The mulch keeps the soil moist. Literally today, I also found a whole Strumigenys colony under the mulch (although I didn’t collect it), a ponera pennsylvanica queen with brood, and a Myrmecina americana queen. Also, Lasius interjectus REALLY like mulch, I’ve found at least 12 queens so far. Aphenohgaster tends to live there too, I’ve already found two colonies with queens exposed. Temnothorax find the wood a great place to live because the mulch sticks are like tiny acorns. OVERALL, if you want to find ants, I recomend just going to some mulch (ours is cedar, I think) and just flipping it over exposing the dirt. I’ve never even seen cryptic ants in my life until I did this.
  • VoidElecent likes this

Spoiler

#83 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:44 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I should probably mention that I found a Strumigenys pilinasis dealate today. I was looking through mulch, flipping it over an what not, and to my left I noticed something move (it was on the undisturbed mulch). Thought it was a temnothorax worker, turned out to be this queen. I also know that a colony of these ants lives somewhere in that mulch, I really want to find them.

Where is this?

Jasper Indiana. It’s been raining for the past 3 days and the temp was about 75 degrees with high humidity. Seriously though, if you have trees in your yard (landscaping is not recommended) with mulch around them, it’s literally an ant MAGNET. The mulch keeps the soil moist. Literally today, I also found a whole Strumigenys colony under the mulch (although I didn’t collect it), a ponera pennsylvanica queen with brood, and a Myrmecina americana queen. Also, Lasius interjectus REALLY like mulch, I’ve found at least 12 queens so far. Aphenohgaster tends to live there too, I’ve already found two colonies with queens exposed. Temnothorax find the wood a great place to live because the mulch sticks are like tiny acorns. OVERALL, if you want to find ants, I recomend just going to some mulch (ours is cedar, I think) and just flipping it over exposing the dirt. I’ve never even seen cryptic ants in my life until I did this.

cool, ill have to try that.

Meanwhile, in China I found a small ponerine, around a half inch in length, under a rock with rather sandy soil. The body shape was similar to platythera. Any theories to what it was?

#84 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 27 2019 - 5:26 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Went back to the place I found the unknown ant, found another type. Anyone know what it is?

gallery_3141_1423_127218.jpg

gallery_3141_1423_32899.jpg

#85 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted July 27 2019 - 9:17 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Went back to the place I found the unknown ant, found another type. Anyone know what it is?

gallery_3141_1423_127218.jpg

gallery_3141_1423_32899.jpg

She looks like some sort of Stenamma.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#86 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 28 2019 - 11:18 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

thanks. they play dead and curl into little balls. its not very convincing, as it lasts less than a second. :)

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#87 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 23 2019 - 2:17 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Stigmatomma flew last night

#88 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 12 2019 - 5:19 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

A good way to collect these is to use pitfalls. found five hypo opacior workers and one queen, and 3 hypo cf opaciceps workers in one day.

#89 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 12 2019 - 7:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Drill a hole into the gound deep as you can go and then place the pitfalls in. queens are attracted to malaise traps. a davis sifter and berlese filter work well too.

#90 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 17 2019 - 2:15 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

anyone in cali who wants stigmatomma, there's a more common type than pallipes. stigmatomma oregonense is regionally common in conifer forest around tahoe, and nest in rotting logs, making collection easier.

#91 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 19 2019 - 4:57 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Hmm. We go camping every year in the Sierras near Mammoth. Maybe I can find somethere next year. What I really want to get there is Manica though. There is a huge population on the banks of the north arm of a lake near Mammoth. They had colonies in the tens of thousands.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#92 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 6 2019 - 4:35 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

I found a Stenamma queen in my Nepethes ventricosa. 

Plants r cool

#93 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 6 2019 - 6:16 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice

pics?

Edited by ponerinecat, October 6 2019 - 6:16 PM.

#94 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 6 2019 - 6:51 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Nice

pics?

I would if I could.

Plants r cool

#95 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 22 2020 - 8:53 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nearly forgot about this. Found Hypoponera punctatissima under dried leaves in developed landscaping. Also a great time to look for Hypoponera queens, I found two today, one under a rock and another under wood in a burn pile. Combined the two with a queen from earlier found under a rock by the chicken coop.

#96 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 6 2020 - 4:59 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This is interesting. Found stenamma for the first time near me, and it was under a newly moved board, laying on still green grass. My guess is that their nest is inside. I may try to collect them sometime.

#97 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 18 2020 - 2:18 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Found a Hypoponera colony today. At least 60 workers and one ergatoid gyne present

#98 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 18 2020 - 2:28 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice. That is a bit surprising, ergatoid gyne colonies are usually polygyne.

#99 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 18 2020 - 3:10 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Maybe it's secondarily monogyne.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, March 18 2020 - 3:10 PM.

#100 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 18 2020 - 5:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Nice. That is a bit surprising, ergatoid gyne colonies are usually polygyne.

I meant they have at least one ergatoid gyne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users