• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cryptic ant spotting thread

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 8 2018 - 8:36 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It's Fall, and lots of cryptic were and/or are flying. I've had trouble finding them (all I find are hypoponera) and I notice some other people do too. I thought maybe we could post sightings of workers and queens and the general environment they were found in. Particularly rarely seen ants like proceratium,  cryptopone, discothyrea, formicoxenus, vampire ants, or prionopelta.

• VoidElecent and PurdueEntomology like this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 8 2018 - 8:37 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I generally find hypoponera under rocks with moist loam surrounding it and in leaf litter.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted November 9 2018 - 2:34 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
What cryptic speciation actually is:
https://www.amentsoc...ptic-speciation

Example with Tetramorium:
https://www.nature.c...598-018-30890-z
https://static-conte..._MOESM1_ESM.pdf

Edited by Serafine, November 10 2018 - 12:33 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 9 2018 - 7:33 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What I meant is generally secretive ants that are subterranean or in live in leaf litter/logs. 

Edited by ponerinecat, November 9 2018 - 7:37 PM.

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 9 2018 - 8:55 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

When I went up to Michigan over the summer, I found a Stigmatomma pallipes queen inside a rotten log. She was found way back in the woods, and I got lost while I was trying to find my way back. She sadly ended up dying due to a water leak in her test tube. I still have her pinned body though and I love examining her. She's a beautiful specimen. She was found a few feet away from a colony of Aphaenogaster picea and there were several colonies of Ponera pennsylvanica in the log she was in.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#6 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 10 2018 - 2:26 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I have been finding  a number of Proceratium colonies recently, I have one in my collection, but in the past 3 weeks have found 5 colonies.  I have yet to properly i.d. what I have. The colony has been rather easy to maintain as they will accept the eggs of the Common House Spider Parasteatoda tepidariorum  .

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 10 2018 - 3:50 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I agree with the initiative, if it may be called that, of working to keeping these less 'common' [commonly not collected but may actually be rather common] genera.  After working with the Neivamyrmex nigrescens this year and coming across one worker of Cryptopone gilva [no colony as of yet found], three species of Strumigenys and one species of Proceratium, let alone the Stenamma spp that it seems no one is showing much interest in, I currently have three species within this genus, I would love to see others collecting and keeping species of these and other cryptic, hypogeic genera.  Minimally a cache of culture and housing data that we could all begin to benefit collectively from would be established.   I have already been making notes on the Proceratium and it seems the Strumigenys spp. being kept has been having a steady stream of culture successes and failures being posted.  As for the Stenamma spp, I have not noticed any one keeping any in that genus, but the ones I have are very easy to maintain and have small colonies to boot. I would also recommend that Colobopsis mississippiensis be collected and data gathered on its ability or not to transition from Fraxinus americana, its almost exclusive host species, since F. americana is listed as critically endangered due to the  emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) with large swaths of the tree disappearing in the C. mississippiensis' distribution range this species could be threatened  second hand by the loss of the ash , thus  any myrmeculturalists living in southern Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi areas and states where the borer is just reaching I would encourage to throw their collecting and observational skills into this.  As myrmeculturalists we all need to be mindful of conservation and preservation as being part of our endeavor.  

#8 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 10 2018 - 7:04 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I agree with the initiative, if it may be called that, of working to keeping these less 'common' [commonly not collected but may actually be rather common] genera.  After working with the Neivamyrmex nigrescens this year and coming across one worker of Cryptopone gilva [no colony as of yet found], three species of Strumigenys and one species of Proceratium, let alone the Stenamma spp that it seems no one is showing much interest in, I currently have three species within this genus, I would love to see others collecting and keeping species of these and other cryptic, hypogeic genera.  Minimally a cache of culture and housing data that we could all begin to benefit collectively from would be established.   I have already been making notes on the Proceratium and it seems the Strumigenys spp. being kept has been having a steady stream of culture successes and failures being posted.  As for the Stenamma spp, I have not noticed any one keeping any in that genus, but the ones I have are very easy to maintain and have small colonies to boot. I would also recommend that Colobopsis mississippiensis be collected and data gathered on its ability or not to transition from Fraxinus americana, its almost exclusive host species, since F. americana is listed as critically endangered due to the  emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) with large swaths of the tree disappearing in the C. mississippiensis' distribution range this species could be threatened  second hand by the loss of the ash , thus  any myrmeculturalists living in southern Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi areas and states where the borer is just reaching I would encourage to throw their collecting and observational skills into this.  As myrmeculturalists we all need to be mindful of conservation and preservation as being part of our endeavor.  

I couldn't have worded this any better. I've been collecting and observing the Strumigenys in Wisconsin. Even though there have been no reports of the genus in the state, I've found at least three species in just one forest. I look forward to collecting more next year.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 10 2018 - 7:37 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I've been looking for colonies of Colobopsis mississippiensis, but all I've been finding are Colobopsis obliqua. I've also been finding Strumigenys of both S. membranifera and S. louisianae. I've also been on the lookout for any ant species living in acorns. I've also been finding Myrmecina americana in my front yard. I've been looking for the colony. They are beautiful ants and I love how they play dead when I capture them. There's also a colony of Cyphomyrmex rimosus at the front of my neighborhood. I have to find the nest though, and I'm not sure where to look. Cryptic ants are some of my favorites, and include some of the coolest species I have ever seen. I definitely want to find more.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 10 2018 - 5:59 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
How do you guys go by finding cryptic ant nests? I know what I think is a great place for them but need tips on what to look for.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#11 Offline Leo - Posted November 10 2018 - 6:06 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

do brachyponera count?

#12 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 10 2018 - 9:01 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

do brachyponera count?

Here in South Carolina, they are extremely common, so I'm guessing that for their native home in Asia, no.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#13 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 10 2018 - 9:04 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

How do you guys go by finding cryptic ant nests? I know what I think is a great place for them but need tips on what to look for.

It really all depends on the species you are searching for. A little bit of research on the species and you should be able to find some information about them such as where they live. AntWeb is a good reference as it tells you in what environment they were found in, what microhabitat, and how they were collected.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 11 2018 - 10:20 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I found a stenamma queen, she shed her wings but I don't really know what to do. She dug tunnels in the dirt I gave her and has only eaten 1 springtail and some honey.

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 11 2018 - 10:26 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Also, I find a small black almost myrmecina like ant in the alpine coniferous forests. I've only seen them on fallen logs, and have seen 3 queens foraging on them. They are highly polygynous, as I have combined workers together and am in possesion of a two queen setup with 3-4 larvae. They are not myrmecina though, as they take honey, springtails, and gnats.

#16 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 11 2018 - 4:22 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

ponerinecat, I have been feeding all the Stenamma spp I have freshly killed termites and fruit flies along with boiled egg yolk mixed with honey, but they seem to like the termites most.

#17 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 11 2018 - 4:30 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
OFFLINE CloudtheDinosaurKing

The Stenamma spp are rather abundant here in the Eastern side of the Smoky Mountains where I collect.  As for the Proceratium, I have had too look much just to find the 5 colonies I have, I would say they are just not as abundant as other species.  The Cryptoponera gilva was a one time deal as I have searched and searched but only found one worker.  The Strumigenys I have found have been literally under my bonsai trees in the back yard and also in the mountains.  The upshot is for these cryptic species one just has to get out and do a bit of searching, they are there, just hidden...i have dirty knees to prove what it takes.  I also collect for my own bonsai, and it is usually for every 100 trees you find only 1 is extractable and of such quality to be a potential bonsai, the same rule here, one will turn a hundred stones before one finds one of the cryptic ants, or at least that is what it has been for me.  I have found the duff on large rock outcrops in the mountains to be an excellent place to look for many interesting species [hint, hint]. 

#18 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 11 2018 - 7:28 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

OFFLINE CloudtheDinosaurKing

The Stenamma spp are rather abundant here in the Eastern side of the Smoky Mountains where I collect.  As for the Proceratium, I have had too look much just to find the 5 colonies I have, I would say they are just not as abundant as other species.  The Cryptoponera gilva was a one time deal as I have searched and searched but only found one worker.  The Strumigenys I have found have been literally under my bonsai trees in the back yard and also in the mountains.  The upshot is for these cryptic species one just has to get out and do a bit of searching, they are there, just hidden...i have dirty knees to prove what it takes.  I also collect for my own bonsai, and it is usually for every 100 trees you find only 1 is extractable and of such quality to be a potential bonsai, the same rule here, one will turn a hundred stones before one finds one of the cryptic ants, or at least that is what it has been for me.  I have found the duff on large rock outcrops in the mountains to be an excellent place to look for many interesting species [hint, hint]. 

I never really have too much trouble when looking for cryptic ant species, I am actually pretty lucky as far as collecting ants goes, I just sometimes can't find the colonies, or the main one. For instance, once I cracked open a hollow twig in a Water Oak Tree to be met with a small colony of Colobopsis obliqua! I went back to my desk and extracted it, only to find that there was no queen, it was just a satellite nest. On the bright side, I now have some Colobopsis obliqua workers and soldiers in my collection along with the pinned queen I found in May. Also I know that their nest is somewhere in that tree, I just have to look harder. Also with the aforementioned Cyphomyrmex rimosus. I have seen a Stenamma diecki worker at a crumb trap at night in Michigan. She's in my collection, but I haven't pinned her yet. Probably the rarest species I have ever seen though is either Stigmatomma pallipes or Myrmecina americana. But yes, I see cryptic species all of the time.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#19 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 11 2018 - 9:20 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Is Cardiocondyla a cryptic species? I caught two queens this season, both of which passed...

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#20 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 12 2018 - 4:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Is Cardiocondyla a cryptic species? I caught two queens this season, both of which passed...

I would say Cardiocondyla is a cryptic species.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users