• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What to do with infertile (but healthy) queen?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Waganga - Posted November 7 2018 - 3:50 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

I was just placing my two successful first colonies of the summer into hibernation when I came across the test tube for a Camponotus queen I caught back in May... She never, ever, ever laid any eggs, and her water is just about to run dry. I've given her honey a few times over the summer, which she seems to have eaten, but she hasn't ever eaten so much at once that she filled her gaster/social stomach. I'm kind of surprised that she's still alive, tbh. I would have died of boredom.

I can move her to a new test tube, and try to offer her honey, and hope she survives the winter...

But, even if she does, what should I do with her? Should I give her some kind of "display" setup... just because? (She's clearly rocking the #singlelife amirite?)

What kind of environmental enrichment would a single queen even want?

#2 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted November 7 2018 - 5:22 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
You basically just keep her in a test tube set up and see what eventually happens.

#3 Offline Waganga - Posted November 7 2018 - 7:55 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

You basically just keep her in a test tube set up and see what eventually happens.

This is basically what I've done for the last 6 months... I guess I'm looking for some slightly less boring suggestions haha.

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 7 2018 - 9:41 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Leave her in the dark. Some Camponotus queens, despite being caught in summer, don't lay till next year. For example, most C. semitestaceus don't lay for at least one year.
  • DaveJay, sweetgrass and Rstheant like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 10 2018 - 9:50 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Yeah, you never know, maybe she was waiting for a trigger that never came.

Otherwise I guess you make a tiny nest and outworld and put it somewhere prominent. She should be fairly interactive, she'll need to eat because she can't live on wing muscles forever.
  • Rstheant likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users