• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alternative heating methods

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 1 2018 - 2:02 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
So I would like some advice about something, what are some alternative methods to heating your ant setups? Day time is fine in SoCal were keeping a good way 75-78f where I'm at. But nights get as cold as 55.

Money is a little tight right now till I get paid next week so shouldn't really be spending money on heating pads or heat lamps(and I'm not sure those should be on all night anyways). Currently I am just throwing some towels in the dryer to heat up and wrapping the ants in that. What are some other things I could be doing?

Maybe rocks in the oven? Maybe the towels are fine? Any ideas you all have would be awesome.
  • DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 1 2018 - 7:18 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
The towels are an interesting idea. My grandmother used to give us heated bricks wrapped in towels as hot water bottles for bed, I guess it would work for ants but a problem with towels or bricks might be that it's an uneven heat, it might be too many ups and downs. Also rocks and to some extent bricks can "explode" or more accurately shatter violently when heated, this can happen just from boiling them so I would be hesitant to take them up to 100c.
I have seen videos where people use the power adapters (black boxes) for their appliances as heaters for ants, that is a great idea I think although I wonder about the electrical fields interfering with them but there's no evidence to show that it does.

#3 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 1 2018 - 7:39 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I struck luck tonight! Found our heating pad(for sore muscles) that had been missing for a while. I can lay the contianers on it on the lowest heat setting and cover them with a towel still to keep the heat in and slow the escape of heat.
  • DaveJay likes this

#4 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 1 2018 - 7:42 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
hot water bottle :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#5 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 1 2018 - 8:10 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

Do you think that's possible then the heating pad I found? Honestly my new concern is that maybe the heating pad(again this one is made for human muscle pain) may get too hot. I don't want to cook the ants esspecialy since lately they have been doing very well actually

#6 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 1 2018 - 8:14 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Do you think that's possible then the heating pad I found? Honestly my new concern is that maybe the heating pad(again this one is made for human muscle pain) may get too hot. I don't want to cook the ants esspecialy since lately they have been doing very well actually

well just put something between the heat pad and the ants, like a towel etc
Or use a thermostat

You can just put your ants inside a box and use the pad to just heat the air up inside the box, without touching their setups
  • DaveJay and Kalidas like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 2 2018 - 5:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

This gave me an idea: cable TV boxes put out a lot of heat (and waste a lot of power). Maybe laying test tubes on that could work?

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 2 2018 - 2:00 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
You'll get mass amounts of condensation

Edited by CoolColJ, November 2 2018 - 2:00 PM.

Current ant colonies -

#9 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 2 2018 - 5:43 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

This gave me an idea: cable TV boxes put out a lot of heat (and waste a lot of power). Maybe laying test tubes on that could work?

I wouldn't put them on top, you'll get no temperature gradient and the ants can't escape the heat, next to the box would work better. That's the idea I mentioned though, all those black boxes put out heat to some degree so why not use it? I thought it was a good idea when I saw it in a video, I think it might have been Ants Australia showing it.

#10 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 2 2018 - 5:54 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Yeah ants Australia did mention it.

Well I got two heating pads today! So we're good, but we can keep this thread going for general ideas
  • DaveJay likes this

#11 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 2 2018 - 6:11 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
I have heat mats but without a thermostat I'm reluctant to use them. An accidental bumping of the control knob resulted in one becoming so hot it cracked the glass in our water dragon tank, luckily the lizard wasn't burnt, that can be fatal, they just don't seem to notice their scales are melting. If you don't have a thermostat I'd recommend taping the controls so they can't move even if they are up out of the way as mine was.

#12 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 2 2018 - 6:16 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
These mats don't have controls at all, it's weird. But I do have thermostats. Got two that do temp and humidity
  • DaveJay likes this

#13 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 3 2018 - 7:13 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Mats without controls are made to plug into a thermostat, the thermostat turns the power to them on and off to control the temperature. Those mats usually do not get hot enough to burn but it still pays to carefully test them before using for an animal.

#14 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 3 2018 - 9:11 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I actually set an alarm to check on them. Yeah they did great and it kept their heat up all night. And you're right it's not very hot at all, which is good. Got new thermomiter/hydromiters that check temp and humidity too, also the pads are attached to a plug that I can set to only turn on during certain hours, which is what I did

Edited by Kalidas, November 3 2018 - 9:06 PM.

• DaveJay likes this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 6 2018 - 7:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I actually haven’t used any supplemental heating for my ants. They stayed really warm all summer mainly because I keep our AC to a minimum in our house for a number of reasons. I also have them up on top of a 6’ wine rack furniture in my kitchen. The minute we cook anything, all the heat rises up to where they’re kept, so an elevated spot in a kitchen could be a simple “poor man’s” heating hack.
  • DaveJay likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users