• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Straywolf94's Pogonomyrmex Californicus journal 2018

pogonomyrmex californicus

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Silq - Posted August 1 2019 - 7:35 AM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

So are P. californicus fully claustral?

No, they are semi-claustral. They definitely like to eat.. a lot. Mine just eat and clean themselves. I have one colony of queens that has neatly moved all the seeds into a different area but my other colonies just hangs out in the test tube and eats grounded seeds rather than hanging out in the formicarium.

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#22 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted August 1 2019 - 9:54 AM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I'm a bit late to this but your garage setup looks very clean and awesome.

Thanks! The garage works well since it is not air conditioned and gets pretty warm. I even have a heat lamp on during the day in summer. Temps get to 35 to 38C. These Pogonomyrmex love the heat.

#23 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 1 2019 - 11:47 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

So are P. californicus fully claustral?

No, they are semi-claustral. They definitely like to eat.. a lot. Mine just eat and clean themselves. I have one colony of queens that has neatly moved all the seeds into a different area but my other colonies just hangs out in the test tube and eats grounded seeds rather than hanging out in the formicarium.
Thanks. I thought some Pogonomyrmex are right?

#24 Offline Silq - Posted August 2 2019 - 7:51 AM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

I'm a bit late to this but your garage setup looks very clean and awesome.

Thanks! The garage works well since it is not air conditioned and gets pretty warm. I even have a heat lamp on during the day in summer. Temps get to 35 to 38C. These Pogonomyrmex love the heat.

oh wow, that is good to know. It is about 84F here (28C) and I thought that was warm enough but it makes sense since they are desert ants. 

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#25 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted August 5 2019 - 12:40 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Interesting thing I noticed is that when I give them moist protein foods like cut up costco chicken or cooked shrimp, they take all of it into their nest, and then bring it out under the heat lamp to dry it up into jerkey, then store it under the rocks or in other dry hiding places.  Very clever :)

#26 Offline Silq - Posted August 5 2019 - 12:58 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

I caught 4 more of these queens this year and put them together into a test tube setup inside a boxbox formicarium. They laid a pile of eggs pretty quickly. One of the queens died a few days later, so 3 queens left.

O0CX8Y2.jpg

I took the opportunity to snatch some sunbathing pupae from the larger colony and brood boosted the new colony. They eagerly accepted the new brood.

pDrafg2.jpg

How do you actually grab the brood? Do you use cotton or some special tweezers?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
  • Karma likes this

#27 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted August 5 2019 - 2:13 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I just scoop the brood up with a plastic spoon since they pile them in a nice stack on the surface under the heat lamp lol. They get pretty mad of course but soon forget about it.

#28 Offline Silq - Posted August 5 2019 - 2:28 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

I just scoop the brood up with a plastic spoon since they pile them in a nice stack on the surface under the heat lamp lol. They get pretty mad of course but soon forget about it.

That is good to know. I had to divide my 22 queens into 4 groups, a group of 8, 6, 5, 3. The 8 queen colony has tons of eggs and the 5 colony has a few but the other 2 colonies don't seem to have any so I may need to brood boost in the future  possibly. I just moved from SD a few months ago. I wasn't in the hobby back then though. What part of SD did you find these at?

#29 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted August 5 2019 - 2:48 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

That is good to know. I had to divide my 22 queens into 4 groups, a group of 8, 6, 5, 3. The 8 queen colony has tons of eggs and the 5 colony has a few but the other 2 colonies don't seem to have any so I may need to brood boost in the future  possibly. I just moved from SD a few months ago. I wasn't in the hobby back then though. What part of SD did you find these at?

You can find them in many parts of San Diego.  There are some coastal varieties around Torrey Pines, but that is a protected reserve - I did find some queens at the Torrey Pines public beach this summer.  Otherwise, further inland there should be plenty of them ranging from Fallbrook to Bonita, all the way down to Mexico border.

I think Drew may be on to something when he indicated in the Facebook group that perhaps some of these queens are polygynous because they originated from the same colony, and so they don't behave agressively toward each other.  The populations in SD are very pocketed, so that may be the case, I dunno.

• Silq likes this

#30 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted August 8 2019 - 12:52 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Some brood pile footage :)

• FSTP and Silq like this

#31 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted August 8 2019 - 3:05 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Woah! How many queens?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#32 Offline Roy3 - Posted August 8 2019 - 4:43 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
I am loving this feed. Thanks for this. It will definitely help me with my Pogonomyrmex c. queens that are slow. Great ideas.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#33 Offline Silq - Posted August 8 2019 - 7:32 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

that is an amazing brood pile. I can't believe they brought them out in the open but it makes sense if they want to bring them into direct heat.

• Roy3 likes this

#34 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted August 12 2019 - 11:20 AM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

My 2019 3-queen colony doing well after 2 weeks.  Most of the boosted brood have eclosed and now there are about 15+ workers.  The first batch of eggs have hatched to larva and are feeding on dried cricket leg near the cotton.  I saw a new bigger batch of eggs laid in the middle of the tube.  This colony is off to a good start.

bmfk5nz.jpg

• Roy3 and Silq like this

#35 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:26 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

8/24/19 Update:

I finally got around to removing the old nest and connecting bridge.  Also cleared out a pint of dirt and rocks that they've dug up over the last weeks.  I also took the chance to decorate the outworld a bit to make it look nicer.  They were obviously not very happy about it and came out in force.

bx83sbw.jpg

iqt1KId.jpg

Saw a bunch of callow female and male alates come to the surface to look around after the move was completed.

KFya5Gv.jpg

nCI1s0W.jpg

0wSb0ZP.jpg

• TennesseeAnts and Roy3 like this

#36 Offline Roy3 - Posted August 24 2019 - 10:23 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Awesome

#37 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted September 10 2019 - 9:43 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I was getting complacent and accidentally pushed a tub against the wall.  This gave the argentines the bridge they needed to get onto my ant table.  The camponotus and molesta are fine since they are closed boxes.  But the pogonomyrmex formicariums I left as open top.  They completely decimated the 2019 newly started colony, dragging out and taking all the eggs, larva, and even the 15+ workers.  Only 3 queens and 2 workers left in this colony, and one of the queens looks like she won't make it.  I moved them into a large test tube for some isolation and recovery.

The 2018 pogonomyrmex subninitidus colony was also attacked hard, but I don't know how much damage there was.  I know a few workers got dragged out of the box onto the table and saw a bunch of them including the queen fighting off the invaders in the foraging area top, so I think they may still be ok.

The 20 gallon tank was also attacked, but responded in force and was able to defend their nest effectively due to their numbers.

The argentines also found my mealworm bin and had a buffet there.  I just tossed the whole bin in trash.

I cleaned up the table and made sure to leave gaps to prevent access in the future.  Lesson learned.

#38 Offline Roy3 - Posted September 13 2019 - 10:39 AM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Wow bro. That sucks but glad it wasn't a total loss. I hope the 2019 small colony makes it again. Let us know.

#39 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted November 14 2019 - 3:39 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

The 2019 small colony didn't make it.  The queens died off one by one in the following week.  I guess will have to wait til next summer to start a new colony.

However, the 2018 colony in the 10 gallon tank is still going strong.  With winter coming around, their brood pile has shrunken a bit to only 1/3rd of what you see below.  They are still quite numerous and constantly trying to climb the glass.  I have been trying to limit their food to slow them down so they don't outgrow the tank too quickly, but its hard to know what food reserves they are keeping in the tunnels.

https://youtu.be/UIlgcFvHI3Y

Edited by Straywolf94, November 14 2019 - 3:41 PM.

#40 Offline Roy3 - Posted December 4 2019 - 7:49 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Well, long live that 2018 colony!!!! Still awesome to see.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex californicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users