• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Wander's Camponotus conspicuus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WanderAnts - Posted November 1 2018 - 6:37 PM

WanderAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHialeah, Flroida

September 3, 2018

0HdneSR.jpg

So I happened to be taking out the trash and was walking back to my front door when I realized this beauty was hanging out on the column. I had a test tube setup within an hour of catching and soon put it away.

September 20, 2018

So what can I say, this lovely lady must have found her heated test tube quite comfortable because after a little over two weeks she had a decent amount of brood

October 27, 2018

So to avoid stressing this lovely lady out too much, I've decided that if I'm going to disturb her that it will only be once a month. It appears to have paid off; she has three substantial sized larvae along with what looks like four or five smaller ones.

M4zXT5i.jpg

UujmXWX.jpg

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 3 2018 - 8:40 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
She's a good looking Queen!

#3 Offline WanderAnts - Posted November 17 2018 - 12:14 PM

WanderAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

November 14th

Came home on my lunch break and decided to check on this founding queen to find she had her first worker, two other pupae and other small larvae or eggs. I'm quite happy that she was fertile as I'm looking forward to watching the colony grow.

To avoid stressing the queen, I decided to go with some protein jelly instead of a piece of a feeder insect. Once I set down the jelly on the small piece of tin foil I honestly thought I had given her a piece that was too large, but she devoured it.

November 15th

This queen wasted no time and helped her second worker eclose the very next day, I'm assuming the third worker will be here by the weekend. I did decide to give them another piece of protein jelly to see if I could boost the queen a little.

Edited by WanderAnts, November 21 2018 - 9:18 AM.

• DaveJay likes this

#4 Offline WanderAnts - Posted December 5 2018 - 6:55 PM

WanderAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

December 1st

This colony now has its third worker, three pupae and a few larvae and eggs. I've given them portions of super worms and a drop of honey every other day and a small portion of protein jelly in between. They are honestly way more interested in the jelly than anything else. I've also moved them into a newer glass test tube versus their old plastic one. I should be able to get far clearer pictures in the future as I'm greatly looking forward to the growth of this colony.

• Karma likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users