• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

From Maryland looking to get started

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline IncredibleCorey - Posted October 28 2018 - 9:40 AM

IncredibleCorey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
I live just outside Baltimore and have been researching ant keeping for awhile but never had the time or room to properly care for them. Now I have plenty of room and have been buying the equipment. Unfortunately I was not ready during nuptial flights. It is extremely hard to find a place that sells queens or colonies.

I'm also not sure how to edit my profile on here to display where I live.
  • DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline IncredibleCorey - Posted October 28 2018 - 9:45 AM

IncredibleCorey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
Well I did manage ti find the edit profile section

#3 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 28 2018 - 8:21 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Welcome! Of course the Market section here would be the place to start looking for ants although ants hibernating for winter might be a problem. I look forward to seeing how you go.

#4 Offline IncredibleCorey - Posted October 29 2018 - 4:37 AM

IncredibleCorey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
I figured hibernation would make it easier to transport them. I'll look around the market and see what's there. Thanks.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 30 2018 - 5:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Welcome!

I live in Alexandria, VA, so no too far from you. I had a lot of luck finding tetramorium queens this June, and I just put three crematogaster queens in hibernation. I'm not really interested in selling anything at this point, but I would be glad to share any extra queens I come up with next season.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline IncredibleCorey - Posted November 1 2018 - 6:54 AM

IncredibleCorey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
Now that I have somewhere to keep them I'll be searching this spring too. It would be great to buy some and get started now but since it's getting cold I don't expect to find anything for sale. I'm just really excited about getting started. My parents got me an and farm when i was a kid and I watched them all day everyday until they died.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users