• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cloud's Camponotus castaneus Journal(Updated July 18th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 17 2019 - 8:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Please don’t try anything experimental with these queens, and now you have no need to remove successful castaeus colonies from the wild.

Edited by ANTdrew, May 17 2019 - 8:05 PM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 8:09 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Please don’t try anything experimental with these queens, and now you have no need to remove successful castaeus colonies from the wild.

I wasn't going to collect a wild colony of these. They dig down too deep. I was also just going to found them the classic way, like how I'm founding my Camponotus nearcticus queens, just not together, as Myrmentoma seem to be pretty accepting of other queens, as opposed to Camponotus and Taenaemyrmex, the subgenus C. castaneus is in.

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#43 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 18 2019 - 2:45 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Bad news, the queen is flying, so she is probably not mated. I did put a male in with her last night though, but they haven't mated yet. Is there any way I could get them to mate?

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2019 - 2:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry about that. You never know, though. Two of the winged chromaiodes queens I found have eggs now. I didn’t think they were mated.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#45 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 18 2019 - 10:32 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Sorry about that. You never know, though. Two of the winged chromaiodes queens I found have eggs now. I didn’t think they were mated.

Yes, but she isn't just winged, she's flying.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#46 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 18 2019 - 1:20 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I just took her out to check on her, and she flew away and go loose in my room. :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#47 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 21 2019 - 4:29 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

My girlfriend has said that she has laid a nice batch of eggs!

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#48 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 25 2019 - 7:53 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Got a new queen from under a rock today! She has around 10 eggs.

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 26 2019 - 1:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice!

#50 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 26 2019 - 2:21 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

She consumed her eggs. :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#51 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 29 2019 - 6:42 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

She's laid three new eggs and is looking nice and plump! :)

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#52 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted July 18 2019 - 7:01 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I have three queens at the moment, two with workers, both with two workers. The other has a very small amount of brood. They're doing pretty good so far!

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users