• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cloud's Camponotus castaneus Journal(Updated July 18th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 11 2019 - 7:43 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

While I was at the zoo earlier today, my girlfriend sent me a picture of a large ant, as she knows I love ants, saying, "This thing is huge!" I instantly recognized it as a Camponotus castaneus queen! I told her to catch it, and she did. I guided her on what to do with it until I'm able to retrieve her. So I guess I'm gonna get a Camponotus castaneus queen soon!  :yahoo:

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and AntsBC like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#22 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 11 2019 - 7:49 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Not ok man :lol:. Now every southenrer except me has one!? :lol:

#23 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 11 2019 - 7:52 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Not ok man :lol:. Now every southenrer except me has one!? :lol:

They're pretty common here in Irmo. I often find their colonies under rocks. They're less common inland, however. The only place where they really exist in abundance is in the Coastal Atlantic states.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#24 Offline Acutus - Posted May 12 2019 - 5:47 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Congrats on the new Queen!  (y)  All I seem to find are colonies. Waiting for a formicaium now to put my new castaneus colony in. I actually received an AC Hybrid 2.0 mini that looks awesome and is nice and small not like their other nests which are 8x8. This would fit them perfect I think but I'm waiting on another formicarium that is All in one and the nest area can be restricted and expanded as the colony grows. 

I do agree castaneus are quite common here as well.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#25 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 12 2019 - 6:33 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Congrats on the new Queen!  (y)  All I seem to find are colonies. Waiting for a formicaium now to put my new castaneus colony in. I actually received an AC Hybrid 2.0 mini that looks awesome and is nice and small not like their other nests which are 8x8. This would fit them perfect I think but I'm waiting on another formicarium that is All in one and the nest area can be restricted and expanded as the colony grows. 

I do agree castaneus are quite common here as well.

Well I hope you can get the nest soon. And yeah, Camponotus castaneus seem to be much more common in some places than others. I've also seen them in Atlanta, Georgia, but nowhere else.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2019 - 6:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Holy Crap! Cloud for the win!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#27 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 6:55 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
:lol:

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2019 - 7:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sounds like a good girl, too.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2019 - 7:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Team Castaneus, I need your input: I made a really cool woodland terrarium yesterday with clay from my yard. I intended to put my Tetramorium in there, but I found it full of Monomorium minimum I accidentally dug up. They have brood, and I think there’s at least a decent chance I got a queen if they’re polygynous. My question is, what species could coexist better Tetramorium or my small C castaneus colony?

#30 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 7:13 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I wouldn't risk it with either one. Especially the castaneus. I would freeze the Monomorium, or dump the dirt out and get new dirt that has no ants in it.

Edit: I would put the castaneus in a naturalistic nest (like from THA) so you can observe them, and help if any die offs occur, or fungi, mites, ect. since they are such a small colony.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 12 2019 - 7:15 AM.

• Acutus likes this

#31 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 7:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Or you could attempt to get the Monomorium into a test tube or something and keep them.

#32 Offline Acutus - Posted May 12 2019 - 7:35 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I wouldn't risk it with either one. Especially the castaneus. I would freeze the Monomorium, or dump the dirt out and get new dirt that has no ants in it.

Edit: I would put the castaneus in a naturalistic nest (like from THA) so you can observe them, and help if any die offs occur, or fungi, mites, ect. since they are such a small colony.

Yep! I'm with him. :)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2019 - 9:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ok, I definitely won’t risk it with the castaneus. My Tetramorium colony is massive; do you really think the Monomorium could harm them? Part of me would like to try this out as an experiment to see what would happen.

#34 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:02 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Ok, I definitely won’t risk it with the castaneus. My Tetramorium colony is massive; do you really think the Monomorium could harm them? Part of me would like to try this out as an experiment to see what would happen.

Monomorium seem to be really slow moving and are pretty much harmless. I doubt they could do anything to a very large colony of Tetramorium, but better safe than sorry.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#35 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

If the Monomorium colony is many times bigger than your Tetramorium, they could potentially be dangerous. The Tetramorium should have no problem though.

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
There’s no way there even close to the population size of my Tetras. The colony is probably over 1200 ants now.

#37 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:15 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Wow.

#38 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2019 - 11:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I hooked up the Tetras. We’ll see what happens - journal forthcoming!

#39 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 7:34 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I was walking into my screenroom while the porch lights were on at night, and I looked down to make sure I didn't step on anything, and there was a winged Camponotus castaneus queen sitting inbetween two boards of my porch! She ran under the boards when I tried to grab her, so I had to climb under my porch to get her, but I did! So now I got this queen, plus the one that my girlfriend is going to give to me! :yahoo:

• TennesseeAnts and AntsBC like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 17 2019 - 7:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! You find queens like I find troubles.
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users