• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

You Won't Believe This Hour Long Anting Trip 2!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 27 2018 - 9:31 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

So I just came back from my park again and holy crap there were so many ants! I collected three colonies, Camponotus castaneusFormica pallidefulva, and the one I am supper excited about, Strumigenys louisianae! I can't believe I found a colony!!! I also found several massive Camponotus castaneus colonies with lots of alates, some of which I collected. I also found a target species of mine finally, Camponotus americanus, a very gorgeous species of ant. There were so many ants it would take me hours to write down the entire story! I plan to update you guys on the colonies soon. Oh, and the colonies from the last post are doing good and are in their new homes. I pulled an all-nighter trying to finish them. I will post pictures of the colonies soon and I am going to make a journal for my Srumigenys louisianae colony.

• ctantkeeper, TennesseeAnts and DaveJay like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline David19 - Posted October 30 2018 - 12:08 PM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Nice finds! What part of South Carolina do you live?

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 30 2018 - 2:32 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Nice finds! What part of South Carolina do you live?

I'm in the Sandhills.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline David19 - Posted October 31 2018 - 10:30 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

I'm from the SC Foothills.

#5 Offline David19 - Posted November 6 2018 - 11:53 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Have you ever tried raising Trachymyrmex Septentrionalis?

Edited by David19, November 6 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 6 2018 - 3:51 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Have you ever tried raising Trachymyrmex Septentrionalis?

I've been looking for them for so long now and it's definitely one of my target species to find, but I have unfortunately never collected and, although I saw a nest once while I was out cycling. I plan on coming back to that nest soon. I do plan on raising them though. I even have a nest design for them once I do collect a colony.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline David19 - Posted November 7 2018 - 8:12 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

They are a lot of fun. Be sure everything you use is sterile! If not the fungus could be killed due to fungal infection. It has killed everyone of my fungus gardens. Next year I am planning on harvesting some fungus from a mature colony for my 3 queens that I have.

#8 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 7 2018 - 11:29 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

They are a lot of fun. Be sure everything you use is sterile! If not the fungus could be killed due to fungal infection. It has killed everyone of my fungus gardens. Next year I am planning on harvesting some fungus from a mature colony for my 3 queens that I have.

You are lucky that you are able to find them, I wish you the best of luck with them. Also, thanks for the advice.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#9 Offline David19 - Posted November 7 2018 - 11:33 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Thanks! I wish you the best of luck with finding some as well! 

#10 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 7 2018 - 11:41 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

In went back to the park yesterday and I found three more ant colonies, a founding colony of Pheidole navigans that I found under a rock while I was walking to the park, a large colony of Pseudomyrmex pallidus with nearly 10 queens that I found in a hollow twig on the forest floor, and a medium sized colony of Brachyponera chinensis that I also found in a hollow twig. I'm not sure if I got their queen though. It seems like every time I go to the park I come back with several ant colonies! Maybe next time I'll find another colony of Strumigenys...

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, November 7 2018 - 12:33 PM.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#11 Offline David19 - Posted November 8 2018 - 7:55 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

I had no idea Pseudomyrmex pallidus can be found in the state of South Carolina! That's so cool!

#12 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 8 2018 - 4:57 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I had no idea Pseudomyrmex pallidus can be found in the state of South Carolina! That's so cool!

I find them all of the time along with Pseudomyrmex ejectus, and I hear Pseudomyrmex gracilis can also be found here, although I'm pretty sure they're more of a southern species.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users