• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trip to Texas Over the Summer Story

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 24 2018 - 6:12 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

So over the summer, my family and I went down to San Antonio, Texas. We plan on making it an annual thing. For the week I was there, I saw some pretty amazing ant species, and I wasn't even looking for them with my full potential! I know now I can do much better. Well, anyway, onto the ants I found. So the first ant species I found was Pseudomyrmex gracilis, a queen at that. Her size surprised me since I'm used to tiny Pseudomyrmex pallidus and ejectus back in Souh Carolina. Next I saw one of the most prevalent ant species that I saw there, Crematogaster laeviuscula, yet another massive ant compared to the members of the genus back here. Next I saw a rather familiar species, Pseudomyrmex ejectus, which I always saw running near Pseudomyrmex gracilis. The size difference was incredible! And then came the Solenopsis invicta of course. They weren't as common as I thought they would be. And then I saw my first Texas Camponotus species! Or so I thought. I picked one up, only to get a rude awakening when she gave me an extremely painful sting! I was looking over a video I took of her, and I realized that she was a Pachycondyla harpax! Yikes! And then I saw an actual nest of CamponotusCamponotus decipiens to be exact. And this was all on day one! The next day I saw some Pheidole sp. eating a dead Suriname Cockroach. A few hours later I walked down to the Elementary School which was out for the summer, and I saw some cool looking termites whose majors had pointed heads. But asides from some Crematogaster laeviuscula, I didn't see any ants, until I flipped over a massive rock. I saw a massive colony of Camponotus ocreatus! They were huge, and their bites hurt! And then I caught a Striped Bark Scorpion, a huge one! I went for a walk in the neighborhood, and in a rotting tree stump I found a Camponotus sp. queen, she looked like Camponotus decipiens, but she was too big. She was probably Camponotus sayi. The next day I went to Six Flags and only saw Camponotus decipiens and Solenopsis invicta. But on the next day when I went to Sea World, I not only saw Camponotus decipiensPheidole sp., Solenopsis invicta and Crematogaster laeviuscula, but I also saw several Cyphomyrmex rimosus, a species that I have also seen here. Those were pretty neat. The next day, there was nothing new, except I think I saw some Camponotus americanus. The next day, I went to the middle school and I saw so many different species, Colobopsis etiolataPseudomyrmex apacheDorymyrmex sp., and the biggest ant in North America, when I flipped over another rock, I saw another Camponotus ocreatus colony, but in this one, I saw the queen! She was massive and gorgeous! I couldn't believe it! And the colony sprayed formic acid all over my legs and my legs were in pain for several days after that. I was also introduced to yet another Camponotus species, this time, Camponotus festinatus. They were definitely pretty neat, they were very similar to Camponotus castaneus, but the majors had black faces. Also Camponotus texanus which were pretty neat. The next day I went downtown and I found a trail of Paratrechina longicornis on a tree and I made friends with a Pseudomyrmex gracilis. When I got home there were three species having their nuptial flights, Brachymyrmex sp. which were flying so much that the coated the ground and it was impossible to not step on them, Colobopsis etiolata, which I saw quite a few of, and a nice Camponotus festinatus queen. And besides some more Pheidole species, that was it. I would say that trip was rather successful. But next year, I am going to be looking for ants even harder, ant I aim to find some Cephalotes texanus, or Atta texana, and I will bring more dead ants home for my collection other than just a single Pseudomyrmex gracilis queen I found dead in a pool. Maybe I'll find another Camponotus ocreatus queen, although I doubt it. Here are some picture of the ants from Texas:

Pseudomyrmex gracilis Worker
Pseudomyrmex gracilis alate/dealtae queen
Pseudomyrmex gracilis Worker
Pseudomyrmex gracilis worker
Crematogaster laeviuscula Workers and Alates
Crematogaster laeviuscula workers and alates
Pheidole Worker and Soldier
Pheidole tepicana worker and soldier
Pheidole sp. Soldier
Pheidole crassicornis soldier
Pachycondyla harpax Worker
Pachycondyla harpax worker
Camponotus ocreatus Soldier
Camponotus ocreatus soldier
Camponotus ocreatus Colony
Camponotus ocreatus colony
Camponotus ocreatus Dealate Queen
Camponotus ocreatus dealate queen
Forelius mccooki Workers
Forelius mccoki workers
Cyphomyrmex rimosus Worker
Cyphomyrmex rimosus worker
Pseudomyrmex apache Worker
Pseudomyrmex apache worker
Colobopsis etiolata Soldier
Colobopsis etiolata soldier
Colobopsis etiolata Alate/Dealate Queen
Colobopsis etiolata alate/dealate queen
Camponotus festinatus Alate/Dealate Queen
Camponotus festinatus alate/dealate queen
Camponotus festinatus Colony
Camponotus festinatus colony
Camponotus sayi Dealate Queen

Camponotus sayi dealate queen

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, November 9 2018 - 6:43 AM.

• FSTP and DaveJay like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted October 24 2018 - 10:40 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Great Post and pictures.

Perhaps reviewing this thread will be helpful in future posting.

http://www.formicult...to-post-photos/

Edited by FSTP, October 24 2018 - 10:41 PM.

• DaveJay likes this

#3 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 24 2018 - 10:57 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
It sounds like you had a great trip!

I agree with FSTP though, it would have been nice to have the photos in with the descriptive text about each one, but maybe next time huh :)

Thanks for sharing!

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 25 2018 - 3:30 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Great Post and pictures.

Perhaps reviewing this thread will be helpful in future posting.

http://www.formicult...to-post-photos/

Okay, I'll try and get the pictures in.

• FSTP and DaveJay like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 25 2018 - 3:40 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Not nagging mate, we already looked, I do find it handy to have them uploaded to the gallery though, it makes it easy to use them in multiple threads or comments once they're uploaded.
  • FSTP likes this

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 25 2018 - 4:18 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Not nagging mate, we already looked, I do find it handy to have them uploaded to the gallery though, it makes it easy to use them in multiple threads or comments once they're uploaded.

I tried to put these pictures in the gallery, but it didn't work. I'll try only putting one species at a time and see if that works. I do actually kind of want to upload them to the gallery.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 25 2018 - 5:32 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Okay, I've updated the pictures so anyone else who reads this can see them.

• DaveJay likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 25 2018 - 6:51 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Cool, it looks good!
Plus now it's very easy to drop one in a comment whenever you like. :)

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 25 2018 - 7:17 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Cool, it looks good!
Plus now it's very easy to drop one in a comment whenever you like. :)

Sweet!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline FSTP - Posted October 25 2018 - 8:00 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

thank you!