• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polar Vortex Ant Casualties?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CampoKing - Posted January 30 2019 - 1:39 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

Oh gosh, I just had a thought: How many hibernating wild colonies might be wiped out by that polar vortex?  The research I've seen says that ants have a cold hardiness to only about 1 degree F.

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 30 2019 - 2:19 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Well, I was hibernating a colony of aephenogaster outside with cover. I was gone on vacation and it dipped too far below zero and they died. Ground and wood usually provide enough insulation for most colonies, and ants can used to northern climate can freeze completely and still live.

Edited by Ants4fun, January 30 2019 - 2:19 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted January 30 2019 - 3:25 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I would imagine above ground, wood dwelling colonies would be hit the hardest, while established ground dwelling species will be able to get deep enough below the frost line in the soil to ride out most of the cold. Soil has some pretty amazing insulation properties.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 30 2019 - 5:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would think that temperatures that extreme would kill quite a few colonies of ants. Seems like it would kill a whole lot of insects. I'm talking about the places that are like -30F.

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 30 2019 - 7:46 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Temnothorax colonies lose most of their population every year apparently.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 31 2019 - 9:29 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Temnothorax colonies lose most of their population every year apparently.

Indeed, colder winters really do have an affect on ant populations, especially Temnothorax. I am afraid that these temperatures may have weakened or killed the Strumigenys sp. that I find in just one forest, since this is extraordinarily north for the whole genus.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#7 Offline dermy - Posted January 31 2019 - 9:47 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Too bad your ant's aren't Canadian ants, we just had a few nights of below -40c [one night was -47c!] and I expect everything to be perfectly fine come spring. Mainly because ants here go down a bit and get a nice 2-3ft snowy blanket that insulates them.

• TennesseeAnts and Nare like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users