• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bringing Dead Ants Across Borders, is it Legal?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 23 2018 - 12:41 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I'm going somewhere in Central America over the summer, and I'm wondering, will I be able to bring back any pinned ants or will I need a permit? Thanks!

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 23 2018 - 3:18 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

You will need a valid collecting permit from the country of origin, and then declare them when you enter the country. There are several hoops to jump through.

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 23 2018 - 5:33 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

You will need a valid collecting permit from the country of origin, and then declare them when you enter the country. There are several hoops to jump through.

Okay, thank you.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 23 2018 - 5:34 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Oh and also, what about bringing ants from other states in the US?

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, October 23 2018 - 5:34 PM.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted October 23 2018 - 10:21 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

There are no laws against dead specimens, as far as I am aware of, at least for dead specimens already within the states.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 23 2018 - 10:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There are no laws against dead specimens, as far as I am aware of, at least for dead specimens already within the states.

That's what I have read as well. The transport laws are regarding live insects.

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 24 2018 - 3:27 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Sweet! I am going to Texas again and I hope to bring back Camponotus ocreatus, which were extremely common last time.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 24 2018 - 2:46 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

That's what I have read as well. The transport laws are regarding live insects.

Correct. The laws within the U.S. cover live material only. However dead or alive if from out of the country you need appropriate permits, you will not get permits for live material.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#9 Offline Zeiss - Posted October 24 2018 - 7:56 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Correct. The laws within the U.S. cover live material only. However dead or alive if from out of the country you need appropriate permits, you will not get permits for live material.

I have only heard about needing permits for going on your own collecting trips, otherwise dead specimens already in a collection or freshly killed/collected in that country, then shipped to you, as far as I am aware.  Obviously, protected species under CITES need permits, which I acquired for my Ornithoptera specimens.  

Edited by Zeiss, October 24 2018 - 7:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users