• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#41 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 12 2019 - 6:27 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Siggyn, my second queen, has three workers and a good brood pile now. I’m most hopeful for her. Frigg still has her lone worker and some good larvae. This may still work out after all.
My third queen still has no workers, and I can’t see her brood anymore. I’m worried she ate them.
In retrospect, I wish I had put these queens in THA starter formicariums that can be refilled with water. I also wish I had left them hibernating longer because I blame their heat cable for drying out the tubes. From now on, all my ants will be in diapuse from first frost to last frost.

I am trying to move mine into a Mini Hearth. Their tube is dry and the colony that is in it is stubborn.

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2019 - 4:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Some good news: queen two, Sigyn, is up to five workers now with a nice looking brood pile. I gave her a drop of Sunburst nectar and a fruit fly last night. When I checked tonight, the queen and a worker were chowing down on the fly and the nectar drop is basically gone.
Queen one, Frigg, still has only one worker and more brood. My third queen ate all her brood and is not doing too well. I’m losing hope for her and may release her.
  • azzaaazzzz00 and NancyZamora4991 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2019 - 11:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Photo update 3/17/2019

Frigg still has one worker, but one of her pupae is turning dark and should eclose any day now.

Things are looking better and better for Sigyn. She's up to eight workers now! She's the queen I've disturbed the least, and she's made the most progress, so lesson learned.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 17 2019 - 11:03 AM.

• Boog, azzaaazzzz00 and NancyZamora4991 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#44 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 17 2019 - 11:05 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You should put them in your good bead container like formicarium! It’s good to see these colony doing good. Have you tried feeding them crickets?
  • ANTdrew likes this

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2019 - 11:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would love to find a small bead container with maybe six compartments for them. I see a Container Store run in my near future. So far, I’ve only fed them crushed fruit flies, honey water, and Sunburst.

#46 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 17 2019 - 11:26 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Nice, for me, crickets are a miracle food for most of my colonies.

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2019 - 6:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Things are going well for these queens, especially Sigyn. She currently has 12 workers and a lot more pupae. I decided to place her tube in a small outworld I made out of a BoxBox container, and I put a cap with a small opening on the tube to let them explore. I gave them a mealworm segment, and they hollowed it out within a day. Here's a poor quality photo of the simple set-up:

Frigg still has one worker, but one of the pupae is getting dark. I have no idea why her brood is developing so much slower.
My third queen laid a new pile of eggs, so I won't give up on her yet. I'll try my best not to disturb her.

#48 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 22 2019 - 7:26 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
You are catching up to mine! My new queen has a boost worker now, and the large colony has 40 and lots of new eggs. (There is still tons of pupae.)
  • ANTdrew likes this

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2019 - 7:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sigyn is voracious. I fed her colony a quarter piece of a dubia roach last night, and five workers came out quick to feed on it. By morning, they had hollowed out all but the shell. I dropped in three crushed fruit flies near their tube this morning, and they dispatched those, too. I love how they wag their gaster up and down when they taste something they like. I also got to observe a worker feeding the queen.
Frigg has two workers now, but a third got stuck in honey and perished. From now on, I’m giving them nectar soaked in a cotton bit. Live and learn.

#50 Offline antsinmypants - Posted March 23 2019 - 11:13 AM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Are you feeding them flightless fruit flies or wild caught ones?

Edited by antsinmypants, March 23 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2019 - 11:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wingless flies from Josh’s Frogs. They’re in a nasty culture container up in my kitchen, lol.
  • TennesseeAnts, azzaaazzzz00 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#52 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 23 2019 - 4:19 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I found a new queen that I think is C. cerasi. She is smaller than my lineolata queens.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 23 2019 - 4:19 PM.

#53 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2019 - 5:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Amazing! What’s your technique for finding so many Crematogaster queens?

#54 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 23 2019 - 5:40 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Just crack open any small twigs. Don't pound on them, just twist. It will take practice to identify which will most likely have them, but make sure to be patient. It takes some time to do it, but is totally worth it! I also found a mature colony, but left them alone.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 23 2019 - 5:41 PM.

• FeedTheAnts and ANTdrew like this

#55 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 29 2019 - 6:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-29-2019:

Some good and bad news to report: Sigyn continues to thrive. She has four new workers about to eclose and should hit 20 workers very soon. They are feeding very well, and I'm glad to see them using the byFormica liquid feeders for nectar and plain water as needed. Believe it or not, these gals are outpacing even my Tetramorium in terms of growth and voraciousness at this early stage! It certainly helps that I've learned from so many mistakes. 

On to the bad news: my two slacker queens, Frigg and Thrud continue struggling. Frigg got up to three workers, but I found one curled up dead today. My only explanation is that the nectar I gave them on Saturday must have dried up, so she starved. I blame this on the fact that her tube was still taped to the other new tube, but she refused to move. This obviously made feeding harder. I gave up today and forcefully moved the colony and brood into the new tube using a woodpecker feather. Dumping ants is against my philosophy of ant keeping, but I guess it is necessary sometimes. I got out as much of the tiny eggs as I could with the feather and put them in the new tube. Hopefully, her two slacker workers will find them and arrange them well. 

There were a few eggs I couldn't get out of the old tube easily, so I put the whole tube in Sigyn's outworld as a kind of brood boost. Hopefully, some of her workers will find them, and luck will favor the vigilant! 

• TennesseeAnts, azzaaazzzz00 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#56 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 29 2019 - 7:36 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My large colony has just about 55 workers and 300 brood. The smaller colony has 1 worker and 20 brood. I have decided that they are C. cerasi, like I originally thought.

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2019 - 9:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4/1/2019

Things continue to go excellently for Sigyn, and several ants are ready to eclose very soon. She has 14 workers at the moment, and her gaster is highly distended with more eggs. They are feeding very well, and dubia roaches are their favorite item so far. I'm pretty sure the eggs in Frigg's tube are gone, so hopefully this colony adopted them.

I found another dead nanitic in Frigg's tube, so she is back to one worker now. I'd really like to get advice as to what I should do from experienced CrematoMasters out there. Should I release these two struggling queens, or should I take their brood and give them to my successful queen? Something about that strikes me as inhumane, though. Maybe I should just keep waiting to see if more nanitics will arrive and actually survive to build up the colony. Please advise!  :facepalm:

Edited by ANTdrew, April 1 2019 - 9:18 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Boog, azzaaazzzz00 and 1 other like this

#58 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 1 2019 - 9:25 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I am the most active CrematoMaster, so I will help lol! I would brood boost the unsuccessful queens. They might just be unfit for the founding stage.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#59 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2019 - 9:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

So do you mean find wild brood to boost with or taking brood from Sigyn? I don't see myself taking brood from my successful colony.

#60 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 1 2019 - 9:48 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I would find a wild colony and take their brood. They don't need it! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users